- October 1940- 420 Flight Formed at Middle Wallop
- November 1940- Hairy Trials and Premature Detonations, pressure from Secretary of State.
- December 1940- 420 Flt becomes No. 93 Squadron
- January 1941- Aerial Mining Tests Continue
- February 1952 - Escape and Evasion Exercise ended, R/P and air to ground, Battle Flt., Sowray Cat 3
richochete damage, cine qtrs., snow, 1 form. aeros trip, night flying, poor airfield
lighting, no flying for King's funeral, Battle Flt., sqn dined out, drop tanks fitted for Jever
move, eqpt. packing.
- March 1952 - 1st Month at Jever
- April 1952 - Manual version of Broadcast Control, Jever Homer unreliable, Cine films still processed at
Celle, Walker grounded 6 months, Trieste visit cancelled, Runaway horse on runway,
OC Flying crashed on TO from Wunstorf on raid on Staines, Flypast for Eisenhower at
Minden, Spares held on Sqns.
- No 93 Squadron Crest Letter 7Apr52.
- May 1952 - Aeros Team competition at Gutersloh came 3rd, 5 French AF pilots attached from Dijon,
Coulon, de Lacoste, Ephritikine, Treffle and Rousseaux, to be spread among Jever sqns,
tanks fitted for Sylt, Simpson left, Pearch arrived, to Sylt, flag firing at 180 kts, losing
flags, Pearch 38%.
- June 1952 - At Sylt, Tempest forced landing LIST, Olaf Bergh to Korea, Towing Flt Crewroom Party,
Back to Jever, Hancock, Concannon and Le Breton waiting to join, Wallace scaled
flagpole and hung flag with 30 hits, Nordhoorn air to ground, CFS visit, Black stripes on
wings for ex, JUNE PRIMER Ex., Early morn strike, Abigail and Latimer arrived, Hancock,
Concannon and Le Breton to 112 Sqn, Detached to DUXFORD.
- July 1952 - Deployed to DUXFORD, Abigail and Latimer started flying, RP demonstration on
STANFORD range, 1st encounter with Canadian F.86's, detachment to TURNHOUSE, 2
Sqn Vampires collided dogfighting with F.86, Wood baled out, Abigail lost ldr in cloud
killed when Vampire crashed 2 miles west of AURICH, Abigail's funeral in Hamburg, 1st
Vampire camouflaged at FASSBERG, OC 77 Sqn lectured on Korean experiences, French
attached pilots Magnon and Babou started flying, British Resident briefed on Germany
since the war, Tucker to 206 Sqn, Coburn and Freeman arrived.
- F449 Monthly Return Roll of Officers and Airmen Pilots 93 Squadron as at 31Jul52.
- August 1952 - Duncan Sands, Min for Supply visited, newly camouflaged Vampires, AOC's Inspection,
Off Mess Ball, CFE Brief on Korea, Move to Florennes Detachment, French Exchange
pilots called back to Jever, Task "Beef" Vampires to UK to exchange 4 channel radios for
10 channel, Highet back to New Zealand, Latimer left.
- Movement Order for Move to RBAF Florennes 14Aug52. Appendix to Aug52 F540.
- Movement Order for Move RBAF Florennes back to Jever 28Aug52. Appendix to Aug52 F540.
- September 1952 - Preparing for move to Buckeburg, Rocketing, SSAFA Fete, Wing snake climbs and
descents practiced, New Ops Rm wall map, Move to Buckburg for Ex Holdfast, Tented
accommodation, Paderborn battle area, Black Bands painted on wings, Wood fit, Coburn
and Freeman suspended from training, Spearman and Standish arrived.
- Movement Order for Move to Buckeburg with 122 Wing Sep52. Appendix A to Sep52 F540.
- October 1952 - Long range tanks for Exercise ARDENT raids on UK, Fletcher 4 Sqn fatally injured forced
landing in overshoot runway lights, bombed Norwich returned to Wahn, bombed Odiham,
refueled Merryfield and returned to Jever, bombed Scunthorpe, refueled Merryfield,
D-door problems, bombed Lakenheath, refueled West Raynham, 3 pilots for UK
Rocketing Demo, Thomas bird-strike Cat3, Valettas airlift to Treviso, 3 Vampires to
Treviso, 1 burst brake sac at Munich, tents and heavy continuous rain at Treviso, visited
Venice, CinC visited Treviso, ground support exercise from Treviso, rocketing West
Down cancelled Imber successful, 20mm exploded injuring airman, OM Halloween Ball
work, Sgt Walker back fit.
- November 1952 - Crest and Lettering on Vampires, Meppen Range opened, AVTAG coming in to 2TAF,
Wallace Cat 3 Ricochet damage air-to-ground Meppen, Snow, Lectures, GCT Course,
Bishop of Barking visit, Webster and Williams up for Short Service Commissions, Ex
- December 1952 - Appalling weather, lots of lectures, Visited GCI Station, Shortages of pilots and N.C.O.s,
12 UE Vampires.
- January 1953 - Practice for Rocket Demo at Gutersloh, Garratt to Officer School, Goodwill arrived, work
on skating rink, snow and poor weather, lots of lectures, Wg Cdr Flying lectured on
Motor-Cycle racing, Land/Air Warfare Brief at Oldenburg, 1st Winter Survival Course
attendees at Ehrwald, Paterson canopy burst 30,000ft, CFE visit.
- February 1953 - Snow, lots of lectures and films, Snow towing behind Landrovers, Bates engine fire crash
- March 1953 - RP practice, Deployed to Schleswig for Exercise, Lots of Army support, Weather delayed
return to Jever, AOCinC visit, New pilot Crocker killed when Vampire broke up in heavy
Cu-Nim 5mls s. of airfield.
- April 1953 - Oxygen Regulator contamination, Height limited to 15,000ft, RP demo and Napalm drop
Gutersloh, Ramsay arrived, Barostat problems, Ex April Shower, Knight, Telfer and Boulton
arrived, Williams left for OCTU.
- May 1953 - Pearch married, CO Barostat failed, Webster to OCTU, Knight and Wood Barostat failures
Walker 61% Air/ground, Move to Sylt, Goodwill left, Wallace A to OATS Co., CO McGregor
leaves, Allen arrives, Revnell, Hannah, Bell arrived.
- June 1953 - Sylt, Coronation flypast Gutersloh, Coronation Day parties, started pairs on the flag, 4
Sqn collision on flag, fine system for scoring 0, OC Flying Jever collected flag on aircraft
tail, Sqn average 7.2%, returned to Jever, OC Flying's Landrover reversed over him and
broke his back, CO now OC Flying, Paterson OC 93, Hardcastle and Walker end of tour,
20 Vampires UE.
- Movement Order for Move to Wahn on Exercise Coronet in July 1953.
- July 1953 - CFE visit, 112 Sqn moved to Bruggen, RP at Meppen, 5 to West Raynham for air to
ground demo, Shrubsole, Ridgeway, Couch, Balfour and Macknish arrived, Moved to Wahn
for Exercise Coronet, back to Jever.
- August 1953 - Return from Wahn, Designed and ordered Sqn Ties, Geoff Spearman killed colliding with
Bob Hannah, Ex Momentum attacks on Bristol, Tinker Bell fuel problems jettisoned drop
tanks, Boss Allen back from being OC FW, Geoff Spearman's funeral, Tinker Bell brakes
failed raised u/c, Bernie Revnell's canopy disintegrated, John Wallace exchange to
- September 1953 - Al Paterson low level aeros, AOC's Inspection, Exercise Grand Repulse in tents, exercise
deployment to Ahlhorn, Senar, Davis, Mitchell, Harper, Hickman and Price arrived. UE 22
- October 1953 - Exley arrives, Iles arrives in his Miles M-18, CFS team arrives, Don Standish dined out on
demob, Whitelaw and Pigdon arrived, Bates, Wood and Ridgeway dined out, farewell party
for Sgt Thomas.
- November 1953 - Lots of Parade practice for award 4 Sqn Standard by Sir John Slessor, Price medical
detachment to UK with Sinus, John Wallace returned from flying with Swedish Air Force,
barostat changing dramas, Some Vampire 5s changed for 9s, Sgt Thomas left , Culver,
Leigh-Lancaster and Ritchie joined.
- December 1953 - Opened airmens' bar, demo for Army at Delmenhorst, Davis faulty nosewheel, Chadwick
and Garthwaite joined Sqn, Xmas day Officers and Sergeants served airmen's lunch, Sqn
moved up to APC Sylt, photo of Senar at Utersen on road party stop to Sylt, had one
- January 1954 - APC at SYLT, 28 pilots, wind, cloud and salt spray problems, Tinker Bell to Buckeburg for
interveiw[?], Telfer port wheel up landing in Meteor, touch and go on beating 5 Sqn to
Duncan Gunnery Trophy, Bill Shrubsole clinched a win with 13.9% Sqn average on the
penultimate day with a 44% then went on to get 57.8% the highest for the year, great
welcomes back at Jever, all scores detailed in 2 Appendices, Bill Shrubsole top 28.35%,
Pearch 27.6%, Paterson 18.85%.
- February 1954 - Left SYLT after APC, Duncan Trophy presented to 93 by C-in-C Sir Harry Broadhurst,
W/C Coulson left W/C Hammer West arrived.
- March 1954 - Al Paterson left, 1st Sabre overshot runway, John Horrell arrived, detached to Ahlhorn
for runway resurfacing, Ken Pearch left, 5 converted to Sabres 24 to go, 1st Sabre
25Mar54, Eric Hughes acting CO.
- April 1954 - First 5 days detached to Ahlhorn, most pilots rotated through Wildenrath for Sabre conversion, ground defence Exercise WILD GOOSE.
- May 1954 - End of SAS attack exercise, Wallace left sqn, Fewell and Page arrived, Ramsay to Sabre conversion and Ritchie completed conversion.
- June 1954 - Whitelaw and Hannah Sabres collide during a stream landing, Brian Iles brought his own aircraft back from UK, 1st air-ground on Sabre, preparation for AOC's next month.
- July 1954 - AOC's Inspection, 1sr Battle Flight with Sabres, 2ATAF Athletics at Jever, Ex Dividend,
Iles and Sanderson left for S Rhodesia in Miles M-18, Hampton RAAF arrived.
- August 1954 - Tom Prickett taking over station from Powel-Sheddon, Hampton solo on Sabre at Wildenrath, promotion exams, Hampton broke wrist, Iles and Sanderson back from light aircraft flight to S. Rhodesia, last page missing.
- September 1954 - Dickie Knight one wheel up on crash strip in T.11, Bell burst both tyres on landing, Exley asymmetric Meteor 7 landing, CFS Exam Wg visit, whole Wing to Sylt for APS, S/L Allen
left S/L Browne took over as CO, Senar off runway, weather poor, gunsight serviceability Al Whitelaw to Sundern.
- October 1954 - At Sylt, poor weather, Page Cat 3 engine failure, Pigdon broke arm, returned to Wunstorf
while Jever Runway being extended, D'Arcy joined.
- November 1954 - Started the month at Wunstorf presumably detached until runway extension completed, Eric Hughes station IRE left, NAAFI party, 15th returned to Jever, Hampton flame out, rudder trim brackets grounding, aeros team forming, D'Arcy posted to 4 Sqn as Flt Cdr. 2 questions this month: what's the MR stand for in the MRSU; and who is the D'Arcy posted from 93 Sqn to 4 Sqn as Flt Cdr on 6Nov54? Is that the same person as Sam D'Arcy from 14 Sqn? See Oct54 F540 for the answer.
- December 1954 - Bad weather, air to ground, Page and Senar engine flame outs, Fewell and Culver medically grounded, Sabre wing cracks STI.
- January 1955 - Repeated snow clearance and fog, only 7 days of flying, John Horrell and Brian Iles posted out, Hayes, Clayton-Jones, Dunbar and Scott posted in, Neil Hampton broke his leg.
- February 1955 - Balfour left runway, bad snow only 6 days of flying, Ground Combat Training with exercises, Balfour chosen for RAF Aircraft Recce team, Dickie Knight posted for Off trg., John Horrell in TAF and RAF ski teams.
- March 1955 - DFLS visit, snow, move to Sylt, some final pages missing, air historical branch squadron
- April 1955 - Down to 18 Sabres, 27 pilots, 6th back to Jever, highest ever Sabre firing averages, 47 hrs day flying new record, visit by Chief of Italian Air Staff, Fewell to CME.
- May 1955 - Now down to 14 Sabres, Sabres towing flags from Jever not a success as the hawser burns through on take-off, to Sylt on 15th for 7 weeks, trouble with fishing boats on the range, Harper, Macknish, Mitchell posted to target towing duties at Sylt, full nominal role of officers listed.
- June 1955 - Firing at Sylt all month, flags coming back short of 30 mtrs, Ramsey highest Sabre score Jever 48%, Avery made Hon Member, completed six weeks of firing, Boss Browne highest scorer 21.2% avg., 14 Sabres on strength, 10 at Sylt, 24 pilots.
- July 1955 - Returned from Sylt, Page, Couch and Buckley stars of Station Sports, down to 14 Sabres, 1st full month back at Jever since Feb55.
- August 1955 - Ed Scott killed doing ground attack on Meppen Range, funeral in Hamburg, range safety height raised, Don Exley's heavy landing induced by vortices rolling him inverted at about 75 feet, drop tanks on for Ex Loco.
- September 1955 - CinC's parade, Sir Harry Broadhurst, down to 14 Sabres, reached flying target for 6th successive month, MPs visited.
- October 1955 - John Davis crashed a Sabre in the undershoot after a flame-out, air to ground and air to air firing against flags from Sylt, Dog fight against Hunters, attacks on Nautilus, only 10 Sabres on charge, Hunter re-equipment put off to next year.
- November 1955 - Very poor flying weather, Fg. Off.s Bell, Couch and Revnell returned to UK at end of their tours. Down to 12 Sabres. Photos of air and ground crews.
- December 1955 - Hunters starting to Replace Sabres
- January 1956 - Poor weather but 1st Sqn Hunter arrived, Exley u/c collapsed on landing Sabre back at
- February 1956 - Poor weather (50%) but Hunter conversion carried on, Clayton-Jones problems in manual,
Wg pilots' soccer team beat Admin Wg to win league, close and battle formation started,
Hayes started on range and endurance figures for Hunter F.4, Off Mess decorated "Ice
Cavern and cocktail bar" for Winter Ball, Browne took part in 2 TAF Skiing competition,
Taff Taylor posted in, Ritchie 1st solo, cine ranging and tracking started, Biggs posted
in, Landon posted in, 7 pilots on promotion exams, Runners up to Duncan Trophy, pilots
up to Sqn strength, groundcrew shortages.
- March 1956 - Last Sabre flown out, pilots turning round Hunters over lunch, 1st box 4 landing,
reached target hrs 7th month running.
- April 1956 - Wing to Geilenkirchen for abortive royal flypast, photo 12 Hunter formation,
Birdy Biggs take off with ladder, hrs target reduced because shortage Avon engines,
too many Hunters reduced hrs for pilots, Sqn declared operational on Hunter 4, Johnston
in, Hickman out.
- May 1956 - CinC Earl of Bandon visit, Sandy's car accident, Clayton-Jones brought in to team,
BB Sharman's Vampire Photo shoot, Aeros display for Press, hrs target raised
back to 346, ground mobility ex showed need for trebling of vehicles.
- June 1956 - Coloured smoke used by aeros team at Butzweilerhof, Exley PV ram aborted take-off,
Guest Night for German Navy, aeroa display at Butzweilerhof for 300,000 people, night
flying, Browne to Fassberg for IDC display practice, Taylor training for No3 slot, white
snoke not successful, Wg athletics, Young posted in, pilots to Hohne to see Army
equipment, 12 Hunters serviceable for 3rd month running, 12 Hunter flypast, farewell to
Hammer West, Hon membership to Bill Sykes, display team for Gen Rafaeli, Chief Italian Air
Force visit to Haver, accent on cine quarters reaady for Sylt, air to sea firing, double
rearm, aeros team to Strassbourg, 3rd month reached flying target.
- July 1956 - 3 aeros displays, airbrake hyd failure, "Flying Day" servicing trial, AOCs, Re-arm demo,
serious defect on Hunter aileron to hydro-booster connector, aeros team to West
Raynham for IDC display at Marhasm, Meteor 8 from Sylt for flag practice, work up and
move to Sylt, road party on 28th, rail party on 29th, Hunters up on 30th, Lynn joined and
- August 1956 - Sylt mainly, record scores, Norwegian aeros display in very bad weather, seagull strike on take-off puts Taff through the fence.
- September 1956 - New form aeros routine, displays at Avignon, US and French flying Hunters at Orange, trophies presented, new OC Fly Wg W/C Woodward welcomed, deployment to
Leeuwarden for exercises, exercise raids on UK and test of western GCI defences, 40
- October 1956 - Sec of State for Air visit, last sqn aerobatics display at Dreux, weekend escape and
evasion exercise vividly described, Bradley, Poole and Hardie arrived.
- November 1956 - Eric Pigdon and Leigh-Lancaster accident, Ritchie, Exley, Leigh-Lancaster and Avery left,
reached 348hr target by 22nd, Netherton and Hymans arrived.
- December 1956 - S/L Browne led the last formation aeros, S/L Minnis took over from S/L Browne.
- January 1957 - 93 won fancy dress competition, visit to Brockzetel, Johnston Cat4 WV318 from loose
panel, CFS visit, night flying, air-to-sea firing, snow stopped Ex Guest, SI Hunter 30,
started practice qtrs for Sylt, aeros team first flt this year, air-to-ground in T.11, 93 to
get Hunter 6 in Mar57, Sylt cancelled, Page posted back to UK.
- February 1957 - Battle Flt., studyimg Hunter 6 Pilots Notes, Ex Guest, Anti-RAT patrols, operating from
dispersals, Officers' Promotion Exams, night flying, 16 Hunter flypast with 4 Sqn for
visiting German Naval Officers, Landon collapsed lung into Rostrup, Faid arrived, achieved
hours target, Ex Amled 17 Canberras intercepted, NATO turnround at Brustrum, Parker
and Talbot arrived, Watson to DFLS Co., good serviceability.
- March 1957 - Battle Flt., Johnston flame out landing at Alhorn, night flying, air to sea firing, Hardie to
IRE Co., Hunter 6 XG296 1st 93 Mk.6 arrived, night refuelling at Wunstorf, 21st stopped
Mk.4 flying, mass oral test of Nk.4 and Mk.6 differences, CO 1st Mk.6 solo, rest of pilots comverted to Mk.6, cine with Mk.VIII gunsight and fully powered elevators on 6, Pogdon's
- April 1957 - Johnston to RR, pilots visit Brockzetel, aerobatic formation team, S/L Minnis,Clayton-
Jones, Taylor and Sanderson working up, air to sea firong all 4 guns, Stn Cdr's parade,
DFLS intercepted, future of 2TAF announced, night flyimg, Goodwin joined with aeros
team for solo aerobatics, Pigdon dined out, EX Synthex Guest, snow diverted 4 a/c to
Oldenberg, USAF TV crew from Spangdahlen came to Jever to film aeros team from
Meteor 7, CinC Ear of Bandon visited to say goodbye, 93 associated with B Flt at
Brockzetel, FS O'Neill left for UK, Sqn MT inspected, aeros team to Gutersloh for flyoff
aeros competition with 20 SqnBradley and Young to 2 TAF Shooting Cup.
- May 1957 - Aeros team took part in competition for 2ATAF formation aeros team for 1957 at
Gutersloh, signal came naming them as winners, Jungle Party in crewroon, 247 Sqn
intercepted coming to Jever for exchange with 98 Sqn, cine and PIs, work up for Station
Sports, 6 a/c diverted to Oldenburg, fuel consumption test, 3rd in Flying Wg sports, Ex
Guest, aeros team to Spangdahlen, 17th Sanderson killed whilst practicing at
Spangdahlen, aeros team flew 3 a/c at Spangdahlen and Bittburg displays, Sanderson's
funeral in Hamburg, 22nd Flying Wg 3rd in Station Sports, Ex Vigilant as high altitude
raiding force,Poole to Wahn as Stn Adj, Timms and Newington posted in from 130 Sqn,
Hunter serviceability good during Ex Vigilant.
- June 1957 - Station parade, 2 Gp Sports Sundern, Jever won, 1st use of smoke genersators by aeros
team, team to Ypenberg for display over The Hague to celebrate 50 yrs RNAF, Queen's
Birthday Parade, Off Mess BBQ, Johnston to UK with presents for Moira Sanderson, 16th Anglo-German Week, Church service and Garden Party, Green Salad Interceptions
successful, 19th Open Day, Watson and Newington flour bombed Landrover from
Chipmunk, Aeros display and Ken Goodwin, Ex Mercury 6, radar guns at Ahlhorn, Parker
compressor failure on T?O, More Green Salad, Fighter Weapons School visiting, team and
Goodwin to Lyons, CinC Edwardes-Jones visited, Clayton-Jones hydraulic failure landed
in manual, Jever r'way load tested, poor serviceability4 gun air to sea with HV ammo.
- July 1957 - Parker and armourer to Duxford to prepare for detachment, Avons derated to 7,850 rpm,
Parker to Kiel in Chipmunk, 0230 station alert, airborne 0410, air to grd at Meppen, sqn
average 28.9%, Ex Guest, Dinghy drill in station pool,visit to HMS Submarine Springer at Wilhelmshaven, 22nd 6 Hunters to Duxford, 65 Sqn to Jever, flying with IRS, 26th a/c
back from Duxford, 65 Sqn Hunter failed T/O into overshoot, Battle Flt., Faid to Handorf, poor Hunter 6 serviceability.
- August 1957 - Ex Station Alert, Battle Flight, Young lost camopy on take-off at Buckeburg, Aeros team
photos trip, ll strikes, cine, air to grd, CO to Istres for Cannes display, into dispersal, PIs and cine ¼s, night flying, 24th aeros team to Hyeres, 25th aeros over Cannes, 1 u/s at Hyeres, Anson party to Hyeres to recover Hunter, Sylt aeros display, Thomson amd King
joined, Primary interval extended from 7 to 14 days.
- September 1957 - Battle Flight last day, Externaltanks fitted, aeros tean to Helsinki, fmail flying with 2X100
gall drop tanks, 2 days aeros display over Helsinki, 2 displays in Stockholm by aeros team,
air to ground and cine, Ex Brown Jug at Schleswig, Main party and 11 Hunters to
Schleswig on 16th, Ex Brown Jug 20-24th, grd attack and air sweeps, 25th back to
Jever, air to ground, Young, Hardie and Landon posted out, Hawkins, Raeburn and
Thomson posted in, on short sorties fuelhad to be burnt off from drop tanks for 20 mins,
- October 1957 - Battle Flight, Night Flying, Ex Argus, IF in T.11, Extra week Battle Flight to cover for 4
Sqn, air to air cine started for Sylt, Ex Station Alert, Cummins and Harries posted in, Clayton-Jones and Johnston posted out, serviceability high.
- November 1957 - 14 Hunters to Sylt, Raeburn on IRE Co., helicopter lifts from dinghies, some 20,000ft
sorties lost due to bad weather, Rastall, hydraulic failure into overshoot Cat 5, pilot
slightly injured, 17.9% at 10,000ft., 13.6% at 20,000ft., poor continuity, high
- December 1957 - At Sylt, snow stopped flying, pilots visited marine section Hornum, 16th aircraft back to
Jever, Xmas Grant, Battle Flight 31st, Raeburn back from IRE Co., Raffle posted in,
Watson Hymans and Biggs back to UK, Overall 16.5%, good serviceability at Sylt.
- January 1958 - Lots of snow ploughing by the pilots, Battle Flight and bad weather.
- February 1958 - 14 days Battle Flight and bad weather.
- March 1958 - Operating from war dispersal, 1st time exceeded hrs target since May 1957, 2.5 weeks
of Battle Flight.
- April 1958 - Air to ground Strohen, Night flying, Taff Taylor practicing for TAF aeros competition,
Howard aborted take-off, into overshoot, no damage, Battle flight, Into disperasl.
- May 1958 - Operating from war dispersal, Taff Taylor giving displays, AOCs and Anglo-German week,
Davies, Ryan & Harvey join, "Follow up" tailplane arrives, serviceability problems.
- June 1958 - Radar ranging used for 1st time, Taff Taylor doing aeros displays, only 2 on standby
for Battle Flight, rest can fly.
- July 1958 - Battle flight, Ex Argus, 6 Hunters to Duxford on Ex Dawn Delta, Ex Ciano from Duxford
against Valiants, air to air firing at Duxford, Intercepted DFCS and AFDS on way home,
major servicing problems, Battle call 6.19hrs, Ex Amled, Wirk Study of turnrounds started.
- August 1958 - Low hrs, Prep & move to Sylt, Taff Taylor aeros displays, farewell AVM Ubee.
- September 1958 - 9 Hunters to Sylt, Cine at 20,000ft, firing from 3rd, all X-rayed by mobile X-ray unit, BoB
parade 15th, Taylor and Bradley dined out, return convoy leaded 24th, Atherton led 14
Hunters back to Javer on 25th, road party left, Rail party 26th, dined out Stn Cdr G/C
Hughes at Jever, Barrow joined, Taylor final dispalyat Wildenwrath before reurning to UK,
Inboard long range tanks fitted, final 22.1% average from Sylt, poor radar ranging
- October 1958 - Hit target 320 hrs by 21st, massive raids on UK, 2 Sqn testing Hunter to replace Swift.
- November 1958 - Battle Flight, bad wather, Wood, Barrow, Harvey and Ryan declared operational, Barrey
flying Hunter for peformance figures, night flying, Gleen qualified as IRE, Davis to
Nordhorn Hall posted in, Ryan on A/c recce co. at W Malling, Talbot to F/L, Battle Flight,
CO sick with Mumps, Parker CO, Timms A Flt Cdr, Bingham posted, Raeburn B Flt Cdr,
Barrow C Flt. Cdr.
- December 1958 - Fog, ground lectures, Stn Cdr inspected Sqn, Ex Argus, Newington posted out, Bouch on
Aviation Medicine Co, Night flying, SHASPE prectice alert, sir-to-ground firing, Wild and
Ryan divrted to Gutersloh during night flying, Xmas standdown.
- January 1959 - Lots of snowploughing, Pat King and Robbie Lynn left for UK 8Jan, Bouch, Lakeman and
Wood on Survival Course, DFCS visit, Air-to-sea firing.
- February 1959 - Fog, Chris Stone, Brian Butterworth sand Tom Ashworth arrived, Ex Battle Call,XJ635 to
Farnborough for fatigue meter.
- March 1959 - Meteor 8 from Sylt for flag work-up, T.11s grounded again, Ex Argus, 'F' and Pete Barrow
back from Farnborough and completed its low level trials, John Haig arrived, Ex Bomex,
Battle Flt intercepted Aero Commander North of Hamburg, Geoff Timms injured in rugby
against 4 Sqn, Sqn to Sylt for APC 23Mar, Easter Break, Rugby in Hamburg and Mick
Ryan's Beetle trip to Oslo.
- April 1959 - Fog at Sylt, Joe Parker brought up the Anson, 9 pilots to Gutersloh for brief by CAS,
Pete Raeburn dined out, CO on compassionate leave, Sqn average 16.3%, Duncan
Trophy average 23.4% Chris Stone highest personal average 31.1%, highest Duncan
average Chris Stone 48%, back to Jever 22nd, new crewroom built, Brian Butterworth
promoted to Flt Lt, new servicing system.
- May 1959 - Battle Flight, new crew room bar, 4 aircraft and Stone, Talbot, Harvey, Lakeman, Hall
and Haig on exchange with Danish Air Force at Skyrdstrup, 35 Headmasters's visit, Dave
Gleen premature retraction of u/c, Jever won Foster Trophy, Geoff Timms dined out, Joe
Parker married Margaret Stephenson one of the nursing sisters, Mick Ryan to Etain for
Armed Forces Day static Hunter, 2 Battle Flight scrambles, guns fired into sea, Colin
Lamont and Tonk Tonkinson arrived, AOC's inspection on 29th, Chris Stone won RAF
Germany Hunter pilot display competition.
- June 1959 - Farewell to CO Sqn Ldr Paddy Minnis, Anglo-German Open Day Display,
Iranian DC3 saved by Battle Flight
- July 1959 - Night formation flying, 200kts and 5G limits applied to Hunter, 4 gun firing
lots of ground attack.
- August 1959 - Operating from Dispersals, Jever DME Calibration, Battle Flight 5 to 1945, 2 a/c at 5
mins., Chris Stone flamed out practicing aeros display, Ex Argus, Maddox's 93 Gorilla in
National Press, slot times, no out of hours flying, sailing on the Baltic, Gordon Talbot
posted, Mo Harvey off flying for 6 months, 16 Hunter/Sabre low level strike, inadvertent
drop tank jettison during refuelling at Dijon, Arthur Vine flew with us, "Good Show" for
John Haig, Gleen accident driving home, night flying and air to ground, Ex Amled, flying
target reached, returned to Hangar operations.
- September 1959 - Chris Stone gives aeros display at Landsberg, debates Broadcast Control,
major re-design of Sqn offices.
- October 1959 - PAIs take on Oscar Wild at air-to-ground and he thrashes them, lots of flying and GCAs,
Joe Parker leaves and Paddy Hine arrives.
- November 1959 - Loss of Fg. Off. West over the North Sea, gates exercise, Dave Gleen lost his hood.
- December 1959 - Brian Butterworth rolls his car, the station nearly
goes to war, lots of exercises, apeman party in Mess.
- January 1960 - CO runs out of fuel during formation aeros.
- February 1960 - DFCS visit, Gutersloh trounced!, bad weather at Sylt
- March 1960 - Return from Sylt to New CO
- April 1960 - Welcome to New CO Sqn Ldr Olaf Bergh
- May 1960 - AOC's Inspection
- June 1960 - Into dispersals for airfield repairs; Paddy Hine Queens Commendation and top of his
- July 1960 - NE Dispersal operations, Low level avoided because of bird strike season, air to ground, 4
gun firing at Trimmingham popped starter master cct breaker and led to diversion to
Coltishall, Battle Flight, Flt Lt Chris Stone Command Aerobatic Display Pilot.
- August 1960 - Dijon Exchange with French Air Force
- September 1960 - Flt Lt Chris Stone led RAF Germany Gunnery Team
- October 1960 - Dutch Air Force Visit to Leeuwarden and Hi-Lo-Hi into UK with 4x100 gallon tanks.
- November 1960 - APC at Sylt for Duncan Trophy
- December 1960 - Sqn Disbanded. Won the 2TAF Duncan Gunnery Trophy