roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book December 1954 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis
Place Date Time Summary of Events                                  COMPILING OFFICER  Flying Officer B.J. Revnell REF. TO APPENDICES

BernieRevnell.jpg, 9077 bytes

R.A.F. JEVER 1st
December,           We started the month off with the first 8 aircraft being airborne by 08.40 hours.
The cloud base came down to 800' during the morning and flying was stopped as the
homer was unreliable, and no fixer service was available.   However, we had flown 15½
hours.   The afternoon was devoted to sports.
  2nd             This morning the Squadron aerobatic team practised over the airfield, and also
over a disused airfield in the local area.   During the morning the cloud base
gradually lowered until at 13.00 hours flying was limited to low flying sorties
and bad weather circuits.
  3rd             Flying was not possible until after lunch today due to low cloud and poor
visibility.   Most of the 16 sorties that were flown were low level sorties.
  4th             There was thick fog this morning so after the Station Commander's parade
emphasis was laid on the servicing and cleaning of aircraft.
  6th             We were firing, air to ground at Meppen Range today.   The top scores were
Flt. Lt. H.B. Iles (11.1%) Sgt. Knight (10.5%) and Sqn.Ldr. D.F.M.Browne (10%)
The squadron average was 4.1%.   Range conditions were affected by numerous showers.
  7th             During the early hours of this morning there was a fall of freezing rain which
iced up the runway.   The visibility was poor all day, and the best that we
had was 2,000 yards which lasted for about half an hour.   During the morning we had
lectures on aircraft recognition and the organisation of the N.A.T.O. forces.
  8th             The airfield was 'RED' until 11.00 hours because of low stratus.   Both flights
flew 4 sorties before lunch.   The afternoon was devoted to sports.
  9th             The low stratus, which is an almost daily feature of Jever weather, at this
time of year, did not lift until 10.30.   The day's flying consisted of cloud
formation and snake climbs and descents.   The cloud tops were above 25,000 feet
all day.
  10th             We started at 08.40 hours with eight aircraft serviceable and enjoyed a full
day's flying with no interruptions by the weather.   A total of 36½ hours was flown.
During the day Fg.Off. T. Page had a 'flame out' in battle formation at 35,000 feet.
He relit his engine after two or three attempts and landed safely.
  11th             There was no flying after the station parade because of fog.  
  13th             Flying commenced at 08.40 and continued throughout the day without interruption.
A total of 55 sorties were flown for a total of 36 hours.
  14th             The weather was kind to us again today and we were able to raise our progressive
total for the month up to 214 hours.   Both flights have been operating with sections
of 4 aircraft with many inter-flight interceptions.
          Fg.Off. K. Senar had a "flame out" at 38,000 feet.   He relit the engine at
15,000 feet and returned to base safely.   The Technical Branch thinks that the cause of
the "flame outs" maybe coarse throttle movement.   There have been 3 "flame outs"
on this squadron recently.   [Click to see fuller report of this flame out incident].
  15th             Low stratus and poor visibility kept the squadron on the ground today.   The
pilots attended lectures and films on aircraft recognition and the German V.2
          The ground crews spent the morning fixing the drop tanks on to the aircraft
in preparation for Exercise Barrage which is taking place tomorrow.
  16th             Exercise Barrage was cancelled because of the weather.   The whole of North
Germany and the low countries was covered with a blanket of fog which persisted
throughout the day.
          During the afternoon the pilots watched a pyrotechnics display given by S.A.T.C.O.
This was followed by a lecture.
  17th             The airfield was again "RED" for the whole day.   This morning we were given
two lectures, one by the Wing Intelligence Officer on "N.A.T.O. Airfields", and
another by Flt. Lt. A.J. Colvin on B.A.F.O. - 1946/49".   During the afternoon
Capt. Hook, the G.L.O., gave us a talk on the "Organisation of the British Army".
  18th             After the station parade the aircraft were serviced in preparation for an
early start on Monday.   Fog persisted for the third successive day.
  20th             Flying did not start until 11.30 hours, and then it was limited to 1 pair
of aircraft from each squadron.   At 13.00 hours full flying started.
  21st             Our Air to Ground range programme was held up for 3 hours this morning
because the runway was blocked by an aircraft which had swung off the runway.
The highest score was 20 hits (10%) by Fg. Off. T Balfour.   Only 8 successful
air to ground sorties were flown as the cloud base lowered to 1,000 feet by
14.30 hours.
  22nd             All aircraft were grounded this morning whilst an S.T.I. to check for
wing root cracks was carried out.   By lunchtime two aircraft were ready to fly
and by the end of the day 4 aircraft were serviceable.
  23rd             Flying was limited to two pairs of aircraft per Squadron because of numerous
heavy showers, which reduced visibility to a few hundred yards.   The surface wind
was of gale force with gusts of hurricane speed.   As only 6 aircraft were required
the rest were serviced for an early start after the Christmas Grant.
  24th             Christmas Eve.   This evening the officers went along to the barrack bar to
wish the ground crews the traditional greetings.
  25th             Christmas Day.   S.N.C.O.s and officers served the members of the Squadron
their Christmas dinner.
  26th   Christmas Grant  
  27th   Christmas Grant  
  28th   Christmas Grant.  
  29th             Fog and low stratus persisted the whole day.   During the morning the pilots
watched films about European Construction since the War.   This afternoon we beat
4 Squadron pilots at basketball.
  30th             Fog and low stratus persisted the whole day.   During the morning the pilots
watched films about European Construction since the War.
  31st   The fog and low stratus lifted during the night, and though the visibility stayed
between 2 and 3 miles the sky was clear today.   A record total of 58 sorties was flown
for a total of 37½ hours, so finishing the old year to everybody's satisfaction.

                                Rounds fired                       :                 5068
                          Stoppages                          :                 1
                          Stoppage Rate                   :                 5068

Flying summary for December:          Hours                          Sorties
                          Sabre                         303.05                            459
                          Meteor 7                         3.25                                 4
                          Vampire T.11              11.10                               17
                          Prentice                         4.45                                  4       
                          Total                          322.25                             484

  6th             Flying Officer Fewell was grounded for at least 3 months for medical reasons.  
  20th             Flying Officer Culver was grounded indefinitely and has now returned to U.K.
for hospital treatment.
          Sgt. Knight has been accepted for commissioning and is now awaiting posting to
          The following personnel went on leave during December:-
F/Os Davis, Garthwaite, Macknish, Exley, Hickman, Bell, Busby, Chadwick, Ritchie,
and Sgt. Knight.
The following personnel returned from leave in December:-
F/Os Revnell, Fewell, Culver, Balfour, and Davis.
          A back log administrative work was tackled this month, including
inventory checks, hangar alterations and revision of Squadron Stores and lock-ups.
The direct control of the aircraft line from dispersal vehicles worked well,
as seen by the fact that 36 hours was flown on 3 successive days, with only 8
serviceable aircraft.   The communications for this set up are not complete
          The Squadron sergeant electrician has been appointed to be in charge of all
ancillary sections (i.e. signals, including radar, electrical, instruments and
photographic).   This is to achieve closer co-ordination over gun sight servicing,
which involves several different trades and responsibilities.

          This is the third month in succession which has been affected by several
outside factors.   These included the five days grant, a wing attachment S.I.
and constantly poor weather, which reduced the flying effort drastically.   The
Squadron flew 13 separate days, but this was equivalent to only 9 flying days.
In this limited period 303 Sabre hours were flown, thus averaging over 30 hours
per flying day.   Given reasonable weather or better aids for operating under
more operational conditions, the target is well within reach.
          The flying training consisted of Air to Ground, Cine gun attacks at high
levels, low level strike cross-countries and included a fair number of bad weather
circuits and forced landing practices.   The high level practices mainly consisted
of tactics and combat flying between sections of 4 aircraft.
The Air to Ground was a welcome practice - although scores were not high, because
of showery conditions, all pilots gained experience in these conditions.
          There were two "flame outs" of engines at height this month, the full cause
is not completely certain, although coarse use of throttle and/or regulator
trouble are suspected.   I feel the latter is more likely.   Never the less it is
good to know the relight system is reliable.   The serviceability has remained
at a fairly constant 8 aircraft per day.   This seems to be the maximum possible
sustained effort at present, whilst spares remain in short supply.

Signed DFM Browne                                                            
(D.F.M. BROWNE)                                                      
Squadron Leader                                                       
Officer Commanding                                                 
No. 93 (F) Squadron.                                                 

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540