roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book July 1952 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesOPERATIONS
DUXFORD 1st.   The Squadron are in dispersal on the south east corner of the airfield for work, but
are living normally on the main camp.  Met. briefing was at 08.30 hours.  Tanks were
removed, R/T re-crystallised, and as aircraft became serviceable Sector Recce's were
flown.  The two new pilots, Pilots Officers ABIGAIL and LATIMER each had a familiarisation
flight.  Four aircraft came to readiness, and were scrambled on bomber affiliation work.
Later a second four took off and did practice interceptions.  The weather was perfect.
Temperatures reached the 80's.  A little turbulence cloud appeared, and the day was
almost windless.  The Meteor which had been flown over from Germany on the 27th June
by Flt.Lt. PEARCH and Fg.Off. HARDCASTLE was brought across to dispersal with the Vampires.
Four pilots were briefed in readiness for a rocket demonstration at Stanford range on
the morrow.
  2nd.   In the morning 16 practice rockets were fired on Holbeach range - and then the four
aircraft flew south to Stanford and made a few practice runs over the target area on the
proposed low-level run-in.  The conditions had definitely deteriorated since the
previous day, and 2,000 ft. was the maximum height attainable for attacks in the
morning.  Visibility was also poor.  The Meteor was back in operation again on
I.F. training, with Fg.Off. STURMAN in charge.  In the afternoon the weather was better
and the rocket attacks went off successfully.  Two low fly-pasts, one fast, one slow,
were done for the spectators.  Immediately afterwards three aircraft, led by
Fg.Off. BATES, straffed vehicles in the Stanford Range Area.  In the afternoon
Fg.Off. STURMAN took Flt.Lt. PEARCH to MANSTON to fetch one of the squadron Vampires
which had been ferried that far from Germany by another pilot.  This and more instrument
flying was about all for the day.  By the end of the afternoon the sky had cleared
considerably more, but thunderstorms had begun to develop in the area.
  3rd.   A distinct change in the weather showed up in the morning, but the cloud and rain was
forecast to clear by the afternoon.  However, it did not, and all the sorties flown
were either done at about 25,000.ft., clear of cloud or below it.  The base was
variable - at times as low as 300 ft.  Practice interceptions were forced on the
aircraft because the target bomber was unable to climb above the cloud.  Some Cine
parallel quarter attacks were also flown.  The last sortie was a low-level 'Ranger',
with three aircraft.  No 'enemy' came up from the airfields visited and the trip
became a low-level cross-country.  The weather showed no improvement, and
temperatures were distinctly in the north-easterly airstream (around 58°F), with the
wind freshening.
  4th.   The American bases being u/s, the squadron was thrown mainly on its own resources,
Meteor flying, formation flying and formation aerobatics predominating.  Six sorties
were flown against Marham, and a section of four successfully battled with Canadian
F.86's, this being the squadron's first encounter with this type.  The twelfth and
last aircraft arrived from Jever during the afternoon.
  5th.   Saturday.  Long week-end.  
  6th.   Sunday.  
  7th.   The Squadron's week-end finished at 12.00 hours, and during the afternoon one interception
sortie of five aircraft was flown against Meteors.  The remainder of the afternoon
flying consisted of Meteor I.F. trips, and training flights for the new pilots.
  8th.   During the morning only practice interceptions and squadron training flying were
carried out, but later, during the afternoon, three separate sections intercepted
Lincoln bombers at 15,000 ft.  Weather conditions were perfect throughout the day, and
contact was made early in each case.
  9th.   Flying took place in the morning only.  One section was scrambled on interceptions
against Meteor 8's from DUXFORD at 25,000 ft.  One aircraft was moved to
TURNHOUSE to liaise with the 115 Light Infantry Brigade.
  10th.   With the absence of four pilots at TURNHOUSE and five were being entertained and
enlightened by Mr. John DERBY? at HATFIELD, only practice interceptions and I.F. was
carried out at DUXFORD.  One aircraft again visited WATERBEACH and six sorties were
flown by the TURNHOUSE detachment against ground targets.  One instrument Rating Test
was taken successfully.
  11th.   During the morning a meeting was arranged between Canadian F.86's and ourselves,
results, however, were disappointing, only one pair were encountered, and these utilised
their speed and power advantages to avoid serious contact.  The TURNHOUSE detachment
returned to DUXFORD during the morning.  In the afternoon a further encounter with
F.86's took place, with even less illustrious results, as a pair of our aircraft
collided, one pilot [Fg.Off. Wood in VV224] being forced to bale out, safely, but with minor damage
caused by excessive slipstream.   [Click to see newspaper story.]
  12th.   The Meteor returned to JEVER.  No further flying took place.  
  13th.   Sunday.  
DUXFORD & JEVER 14th.   The Squadron returned to JEVER with ten aircraft, the weather being generally fair
with a broken layer of cloud approximately 4,000 ft. thick.  Whilst snaking down
through this layer, in which visibility was worse than its appearance suggested,
Pilot Officer ABIGAIL lost his leader and was seen no more.  His aircraft  [VV227] was found
wrecked two miles west of AURICH, and he became the Squadron's first fatality since
its reformation.
JEVER 15th.   Four aircraft were stood by with the Station Battle Flight.  During the morning one
sortie was flown with the Battle Flight, all acting as targets.  During the afternoon
the Squadron was withheld for an escort job, which never materialised and no more
flying was undertaken.
  16th.   The whole day was devoted to the funeral of the late Pilot Officer ABIGAIL, as the
burial was to take place at HAMBURG.  The trip commenced at 08.30 hours, the first
coach arriving back at 03.30 hours on the 17th and the second at 05.30 hours.
  17th.   Owing to the previous days efforts work commenced after lunch.  The first of our aircraft
to be so treated went to FASSBERG for a camouflage finish  One section engaged in
quarter attacks and a single air test was flown.
  18th.   To-day was to have seen a full rocketing programme, but the weather at NORDHORN range
being unsuitable a varied selection of sorties were flown.  Two pairs of aircraft
carried out quarter attacks, formation flying was carried out and individual aerobatics.
Another aircraft made the trip to FASSBERG for camouflaging.  A lecture was given by
the Commanding Officer of No. 77 Squadron on the Squadron's experiences in KOREA,
flying in all types of fighter roles.
  19th.   Saturday.  Long Week-end.  
  20th.   Sunday.  
  21st.   The Squadron is providing the Battle Flight for the next fortnight.  Four trips were
flown, all interceptions at 20,000 ft or 25,000 ft, against Danish Meteors from ?????,
very little other flying was carried out, but another Vampire was taken to FASSBERG for
  22nd.   The Battle Flight made four trips, on the first no contacts were made.  The second was
practice interceptions between our own aircraft and the remaining two were interceptions
against other targets.  The French pilots recently attached to the squadron,
Lt. MONTAGNAN and SGT/CHEF. BARBOU, had their first trips with us, sector recces and
another aircraft was taken to FASSBERG.  During the evening each pilot had one night
flying sortie, trips being alternately cross-country and Q.G.H.
  23rd.   During the early part of the day a Flying Wing rehearsal was held for the A.O.C.'s parade,
following which a lecture was given to the Station on the Far East and the background to
the Korean Campaign.  There was no flying in the morning and the afternoon was utilised
for sport.
  24th.   Battle Flight continued with interceptions on other Vampires, and a few other sorties
were flown, principally instrument flying in the Meteor.  After tea a lecture was given
by the British Resident on relations with Germans and developments in Germany since the
  25th.   A Station Commanders Parade was held first thing in the morning.  The weather
deteriorated towards the end of the parade and the airfield was 'red', with cloud base
variable mainly at 500 ft., with drizzle and visibility of 1 mile before the Battle
was brought to readiness.  The Battle Flight remained 'at ease' all day.
Squadron duties and compass swinging being the days main activities.  The only sortie
flown enabled Fg.Off. JAMES to get a green ticket.
JEVER 26th.   During the morning only the Meteor was flown to enable an instrument rating to be
obtained.  Owing to a Station Commanders Parade at GUTERSLOH the rating was not
taken.  The Station's Ground Defence Scheme was worked upon for a large portion of the
morning.  Work ceased at lunchtime
  27th.   Sunday.  
  28th.   The Squadron again provided the duty Battle Flight, and after two quick sorties against
Vampires, an early lunch was taken to enable the Battle Flight to get airborne in time
for head on passes at B.45's.  At 12.30A the Section was scrambled and climbed to
36,000 ft.  After many vectors and occasional information on targets the section
returned to base without contact.  During the afternoon the weather deteriorated
considerably and showers became rather frequent.  However two more trips were flown
against Vampires.  The rest of the flying was of a varied character, with formation
flying by our French visitors, a trip to CELLE, and another trip in the Meteor to
GUTERSLOH, more successfully this time, and Fg.Off. WALLACE returned one Green ticket
better off.
  29th.   The Battle Flight completed five trips, two against Vampires, one with practice
interceptions between the two sections, one in which a solo Skymaster was intercepted
and identified, and one in which no contact at all was made.  Shower activity was
quite pronounced during the day, and visibility at times was extremely poor, but a
reasonable amount of miscellaneous flying was achieved, mainly instrument flying.
Plt.Off. COBURN and Plt.Off. FREEMAN received dual checks in the Meteor.
  30th.   Battle Flight flew two trips before standing down at lunchtime, one against Vampires,
and the second ostensibly against B.45's at 35,000 ft.  Unfortunately the targets were
later than anticipated and the sorties returned to base without having carried out the
intended head on attack.  The rest of the squadron flying was mainly instrument work
in the Meteor, with a single trip to GUTERSLOH and return.  The afternoon was reserved
for squadron sports.
  31st.   A full rocketing programme was arranged for the day, but weather was unfavourable,
and the morning was spent on training new pilots, Q.G.H.'s and sector recces being the
principal items.  In the afternoon the cloud base was sufficiently high for cannon
firing to commence and 5 sorties were flown, but no rocket firing was possible.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe Squadron has suffered its first serious set backs during the month with
the complete write off of two aircraft, and resulting in a fatality, and serious damage
to a third.  [Click to see newspaper story.]  The other factors affecting the general efficiency of the
squadron is that after being left undisturbed for twelve months the pilot strength has suffered through
movements out and replacements direct from Advanced Training Units.  This combined with
leave has made the squadron low on operationally fit pilots during the latter part of
the month.  Preparation for the Air Officer Commanding's Inspection next month has
absorbed a large part of the effort.

Fg.Off. R.L.JAMES     -  to P.A.I. Course at LECONFIELD on 30th July, 1952.
Fg. Off. C.M.R. TUCKER -  to No. 266 Squadron on 23rd July, 1952.
Fg.Off. J.C.M. WOOD  - non-effective sick w.e.f. 11th July 1952.
Plt.Off. E. S. ABIGAIL  - fatally injured on 14th July, 1952.
Fg. Off. A. V. H. STURMAN     )
Fg.Off.J.E.F.HARDCASTLE ) -  Leave w.e.f. 15th July, 1952.
Sgt. WEBSTER, D.      -         Leave w.e.f. 7th July, 1952.
Plt. Off. M. C. COBURN   )
Plt. Off. G FREEMAN       ) -  posted in w.e.f. 23rd July, 1952.
      1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesNOMINAL ROLL OF PILOTS.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSquadron Leader S. M. McGREGOR.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes'A' FLIGHT.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes'B' FLIGHT.
Flt. Lt. A. W.PATERSON.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFlt. Lt. K. M. PEARCH.
Fg.Off. A. V. H. STURMAN.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. R. L.     JAMES.
Fg.Off. J. E. F. HARDCASTLE.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. E. K. G. BATES.
Fg.Off. A. R.    WALLACE.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt. Off. B. K.     LATIMER.
Plt. Off. M. C.  COBURN.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt. Off. G.         FREEMAN.
Sgt.   D.  WEBSTER.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt. D. C. GARRATT.
Sgt.   C.  WILLIAMS.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt. D. J. THOMAS.

      Total hours for month     -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes278:50  Vampire,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes33:40   Meteor.
Sorties flown                    -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes340            "1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes53          "
Ammunition expended   -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesRockets -     4711px-trans.gif, 43 bytes20 mm. -     450 rounds.

6th August, 1952 1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSigned SM McGregor1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
(S.M.MCGREGOR)1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
Squadron Leader,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
Officer Commanding,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
No. 93 Squadron.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540