roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book March 1953 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis
JEVER. MAR. 5th Page 1 missing from micro-film.   To be added later.
THURSDAY.  ....and for the day.
    6th FRIDAY.             After another morning of low cloud, Battle Flight was at last scrambled
to intercept a Washington.  On their becoming airborne, no mention was made of this
target and so they did P.I.'s.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe second sortie was made more interesting by scrambling as two pairs at
about a 15 minute interval.  The first was worked by 'FACECREAM' as bomber and the
second as 'RUSTY' as fighter.  Of this second pair only one got airborne.  The whole
exercise proved much better than the usual P.I.'s and was very successful on the whole.
    7th SATURDAY.       A Station Commanders parade was held with a much-depleted station.  Flying
Wing had only one flight of men as did Tech. Wing.  Wing Commander Coulson took the
parade.  20 minutes drill followed immediately for 93 Squadron.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesAfter this, normal squadron routine was resumed, except for an
inspection by Flt.Lt. Paterson of the airmen's living quarters.
    8th SUNDAY.  
    9th. MONDAY.           The Squadron was sharing the range all day with 4 Squadron.  This served
to cut down on sorties a little, and the visibility and cloud also helped.  Fifteen
rocket and cannon sorties were flown.  One low level 'RHUBARB' of three aircraft was
loaned to Battle Flight for one sortie.  49 rockets were fired and 190 rounds of 20 mm.
An early finish was made and aircraft made ready for night flying.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesIn view of the ominous nature of the weather and its known unreliability in
this area, local flying and short cross countries were adhered to.  Sqn.Ldr. McGregor
and Flt.Lt. Paterson both went to Ahlhorn to check their system of Airfield lighting.
Flying finished at 21.00
    10th TUESDAY.          A fine day, during which a full day of rocketing was flown - right from
early morning till after 17.00 hours., with the usual break at midday - while the range
crew repaired targets.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesIn the afternoon two formations of four aircraft each did some operational
attacks - trying to perfect their techniques for such things as
pull-up point, spacing in the dive, and presenting the worst target to ground fire.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesAll the other afternoon sorties were done with 9,700 revs in the dive as
work-up to higher speed and quicker get-away in operational conditions.
    11th WEDNESDAY.  Low cloud and showers prevailed, but in spite of it, three pairs took off
to do cine, cloud flying and Q.G.H.'s.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesWhen they had landed, flying was temporarily stopped in view of a slight
deterioration but was resumed later, and another five sorties were flown.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesIn the afternoon flying was shelved so that the aircraft could be serviced
While the aircrew all took part in games.
    12th THURSDAY.      When the morning mist had cleared flying commenced with cine practice at
high level in pairs.  Only a few pilots were available; Courts of Inquiry, Inventories,
Mobile Equipment etc, claiming several of them.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesMostly the programme comprised cine exercises with a few Battle Formation
and Aerobatic sorties to use the odd aircraft.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesIt was decided to fly late in view of the fine weather, and to make up some
of the time lost in the past weeks due to consistently bad conditions.  Flying ceased
at 18.00 hours.
    13th FRIDAY.            The day was spent preparing for the move to Schleswig.  Aircraft radios were re-
crystallised and the vehicles were loaded ready for the main party's early start in the
    14th SATURDAY.      The main party moved off at 09.00 hours and made good time to Hamburg,
where they spent the night.  One aircraft flew to Schleswig, did some runs there to
calibrate the homer, and returned to Jever without landing away.  All personnel with-
out any special job, concentrated on their own packing and preparations.  By the end
of the morning, ten aircraft were serviceable for the move.
    15th SUNDAY.  
    16th MONDAY.           After briefing, and having packed their kit, the ten pilots took off at
07.05.  An uneventful trip brought them to Schleswig-land where they had their first
view of their new home.  It was quickly decided to make use of the beautiful weather
and fly off some local recces.  Serviceability was good, and by the end of the day most
pilots had flown three more sorties each.  One four was put up to practice rocket attacks and recce shipping on the Kiel canal, while the rest recced the Battle Area.
During the afternoon the Group Captain flew in from Jever to see how things were going.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesConditions proved very good, the cooking excellent.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesGuards were mounted on the aircraft which are picketed outside.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe rear party arrived safely at an amazingly early hour in the evening,
having had an extremely satisfactory journey.
    17th TUESDAY.          In spite of trouble in tracing supplies of AVTAG which should have arrived
most of the aircraft flew three times.  Visibility was poor in spite of the very
good conditions prevailing.  One aircraft went to Jever, for crystals to set up the
Norwegian F.D.P. but they proved unsatisfactory.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe Army were occupied with digging in and were to be seen all over the area,
moving into position.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe weather promises to remain good for some days yet, since we are under
the influence of a high pressure area, which shows little indication of declining
    18th WEDNESDAY.   The exercise commenced with a ground mist which prevented any dawn recce-
missions being flown.  At 10.00, when the mist cleared, three armed recces were flown
but very little was seen.  It appeared that troops had dug in exceedingly well and the
real concentration were further north of the particular bomb line.  A brigade H.Q.
was discovered and a sortie put in on it.  A routine recce of the Kaiser Wilhelm canal
was also flown and supplies coming up by ship were attacked.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesAt 15.00 a demand came in for a strike in an area
near the western edge of the battle zone and South of Rensburg.  Three independent
pairs were on target at 15.30 and off again at 15.40.  Heavy casualties were inflicted
and it later transpired that the strike was very near our own troops.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesA four attacked gun positions which were so well camouflaged
that only three out of sixteen were seen.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesTo end the day three pairs did last-light reconnaissance.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes38 sorties were flown, and the second pre-arranged bomb-line
was reached by the end of the day.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesGroup Captain Donald, who commands R.A.F. Sylt and the detach-
meant at Schleswig-land, flew in a Vampire T.11.  He returned just before dusk, after
the nose oleo of his aircraft had been serviced.
    19th THURSDAY.      The morning mist was much thicker and widespread, and consequently
flying did not begin until 15.30.  By this time the battle had moved north considerably
and a new area of gun positions were heavily attacked by 8 aircraft in the late after-
noon.  Activity was not very great but the three dusk recces brought back a good
deal of information; including reports of a position suspected to be a Brigade H.Q.
    20th FRIDAY.              Once again early morning mist took a while to clear but at 08.20 hours one
aircraft was airborne for Jever, where it was left for servicing and another brought
back in its place.  Upon arriving at Schleswig it was quickly recrystallised on local
frequency, and took part in the big strike of the day on the position which had now
been confirmed a Brigade Headquarters.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe aircraft represented two squadrons of top cover for four which
did rocket attacks, quickly followed by a close low-level four doing a 'napalm' strike.
Once this had been done, it was almost as if the highspot of the war was past.  A
few more strikes were put in on gun positions, and a great deal of anti-aircraft fire
was encountered.  Demands for strikes were extremely lacking in sufficient information
about targets, type of attack and armament required.  Preparations
had meanwhile begun for the move, and a small advance party was despatched to Jever.
    21st SATURDAY.       The usual fog cloaked everything, and it was clear from the Met. briefing
that the Squadron had very little chance of moving back to Jever.  In spite of the
fact that conditions at Schleswig eventually became ideal, those prevailing at Jever
were quite impossible for a Squadron landing.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesChocks and aircraft covers were reluctantly off-loaded and aircraft were
guarded for yet another night at Schleswig.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe mobile kitchen was packed up, and the men ate in the Sylt detachment
dining hall, while the kitchen staff worked in with the detachment staff
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThroughout the whole detachment serviceability has been very high and in
spite of the almost leisurely atmosphere prevailing 96 exercise sorties were flown
during the available good weather.  A total of 68 sorties were flown on the whole
    22nd SUNDAY.           Once again the Squadron hung eagerly on the reports of the Met. Section,
but conditions at Jever never once gave a sign of being good enough to allow the move
to be carried out.
    23rd MONDAY.            At last Met. were slightly more hopeful, and even in the face of very poor
early morning conditions, their hopes were borne out by improvement reports at Jever,
until at last at about 15.30 the Squadron flew back in sections to make uneventful land-
ings at base.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesAircraft were disarmed by the waiting armourers and pushed in by everyone
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesA new arrival Plt.Off. M.J. CROCKER was waiting to join the Squadron,
having been on the station since Friday 20th.  He comes from O.C.U. at Chivenor.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesMeanwhile a hasty pack-up had been going on at Schleswig, and the Main
Party were able to reach Hamburg for the night-stop.
    24th THURSDAY.      No flying was done all day - but aircraft were cleaned and the Hangar was
put in order for the visit of the A.O.C. in C. on the morrow.  The rear party arrived
at 15.00, but did not off-load any but essential equipment.  After their long drive
they had to set about cleaning up their barrack block.  A domestic evening was ordered.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt.Off. Goodwill proceeded on leave, having already been forced to wait
two days by the weather at Schleswig.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt.Off. Standish went immediately on an Escape and Evasion exercise for
two days in the south of the zone.
    25th WEDNESDAY.  A limited rocket programme was flown all day - at least up till 15.15 when
all aircraft were grounded pending the inspection, and passing as secure, of the arms
carrying the rudder mass balances.  Fracture of these, was anticipated to be the cause
of two recent accidents.  In spite of this 48 rockets were fired for nil hang-ups.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe A.O.C. in C. arrived in his Devon at 12.35 and dined at the Officers
Mess.  After lunch he toured and inspected the station, arriving at 93 Squadron at
14.45, where he interviewed the available pilots.  He left shortly afterwards.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesA course for two pilots at a time was commenced in A.S.F. at 09.00.  It
requires their attendance for an hour each day, for five days - at the end of which
they will be tested and qualify as Crew Chief - capable of carrying out servicing up
to Primary Standard.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt.Off. CROCKER had a dual check in the Meteor with Flt.Lt. PEARCH.
    26th THURSDAY.     All aircraft were grounded until 15.00 when the Squadron had four
serviceable aircraft which flew on cine.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe Chief Crew lectures continued in A.S.F. and for the rest of the day
pilots pursued their own duties.
    27th FRIDAY.             With the exception of two aerobatic sorties and a Sector Recce for Plt.Off.
, all the sorties flown were rocketing.  In all 67 rockets were fired.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesOne aircraft was on loan to 112 Squadron for Battle Flight, with Fg.Off.
flying it.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt.Off. STANDISH returned from the Escape and Evasion exercise.
    28th SATURDAY.       Long Weekend.  
    29th SUNDAY.           Long Weekend.  
    30th MONDAY.           Sgt. WILLIAMS returned from leave.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe weather was cloudy all day.  The morning's low cloud lifted - but as
the day wore on a strong cross wind coupled with a slippery runway put the airfield
U/S.  93 Squadron had their four available aircraft on Battle Flight, but after the
first sortie the number fell to three.  On their two flights they did P.I.'s and
encountered cloud up to 36,000 feet.
  31st TUESDAY.         Battle Flight again with four aircraft.  In the morning there were two
scrambles to do P.I.'s with other Battle Flights.  The interceptions were good, and
a slight note of realism was introduced by controlling the formations on different
channels.  The ground waits during refuelling are longer now because I.F.F. sets, if
used, must be checked after each flight.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFrom the Hangar there was only one training flight.  This was Plt.Off.
who was doing a Sector Recce and Q.G.H.  After he became overdue for return
to base, a search revealed that his aircraft had crashed South of the airfield, and
that he had been killed.  [Vampire WA198, 5 miles South of airfield].  The cause of the accident is not yet known.  The absence of
crash equipment on the airfield put it out of action, and it was not until 16.20 that
Battle Flight were able to get airborne again to do Practice Interceptions on one
another.  Flying finished at 17.05.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe weather had been broken cumulus all day, with one or two large
Cumulo-Nimbus clouds which gave severe hailstorms at times, of very short duration.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. HARDCASTLE went to England on a P.A.I. course.
           Total hours flown  -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes218:10 Vampire.             3:20 Meteor.
     Sorties flown          -1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes350       Vampire.                   4 Meteor.

     Ammunition expended    -  20 m.m.           190 rounds
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesR/P1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes289
     The main administrative problem continues to revolve round the manning situation
in the skilled trades.  The shortage of experienced N.C.O's is one of the caused of
low aircraft availability, aircraft frequently having to wait for a considerable
period for work involving component replacement.
     The Squadron's detachment to SCHLESWIG during this month was a most enjoyable
exercise and provided good mobility practice.  The exercise was unique in that it
caused no "headaches" being singularly free from any difficulty.
Plt.Off. M. CROCKER1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPosted in w.e.f. 20.3.53.
Plt.Off. M. CROCKER1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFatally Injured 31.3.53.

Flt.Lt.  A.W. PATERSON.  )1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesWinter Survival Course 14 - 24.4.53.
Fg.Off. A.V.H. STURMAN  )

Plt.Off. G. GOODWILL.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesProceeded U.K. leave 22.3.53.
Sgt. D.T. THOMAS      )1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesProceeded Continental leave 14.3.53.
Sgt. J.E.M. WALKER  )

Fg.Off. J.E.F. HARDCASTLE1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesU.K. leave 14.3.53.
Fg.Off. G.W. SPEARMAN1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesReturned from Winter Survival Course - 2.3.53.
Sgt.  C. WILLIAMS1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesU.K. leave 4 - 28.3.53.
Plt.Off. D.W. STANDISH1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesReturned from U.K. leave 14.3.53.
Fg.Off. J.G.M. WOOD1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesReturned from Cont. leave 3.3.53.
Fg.Off. A.V.H. STURMAN1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesReturned from Cont. leave 15.3.53.
Flt.Lt.  A.W. PATERSON.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesReturned from Cont. leave 3.3.53.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSquadron Leader S.M. McGREGOR.
Flt.Lt. A.W. PATERSON.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFlt.Lt. K.M. PEARCH.
Fg.Off. A.V.H. STURMAN1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. J.E.F. HARDCASTLE
Fg.Off. J.G.M. WOOD1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. E.K.G. BATES
Fg.Off. A.R. WALLACE1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFg.Off. G.W. SPEARMAN
Plt.Off. D.W. STANDISH1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesPlt.Off. G.F.C. GOODWILL
Sgt. D. WEBSTER1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt, J.E.M. WALKER
Sgt. C. WILLIAMS1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSgt. D.J. THOMAS

Signed SM McGregor1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
(S. M. McGREGOR)1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
13th April, 1953.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesSquadron Leader, Commanding,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
No. 93 Squadron,1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes
Royal Air Force,                   JEVER.1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540