roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book October 1956 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2803 Microfilm Row1 Draws 52-71
Place Date Time SUMMARY OF EVENTS                        COMPILING OFFICER   Fg. Off. W.R. Clayton-Jones. REF. TO APPENDICES
      ClamClayton-Jones.jpg, 7609 bytes  
R.A.F. JEVER Monday
1st. 1956.           The Squadron got off to a good start on this the first day of the month.
Although Flying did not begin till 1100 hours; so many aircraft were serviceable
that it became difficult to find pilots to fly them - five are at present on leave.
Twelve squadron aircraft were flown over the airfield in arrow head and box
formation.   Night flying was also carried out and by the end of the day we had achieved 37 hours.
2nd. 1956.           The airfield was amber until 1100 but up until then we had been allowed to
fly two staggered pairs per squadron.
          It has been decided that for the Secretary of State for Air's visit on
Thursday, 12 aircraft will fly past and return "threading the needle" in fours.
On landing a demonstration rearm will take place and then the aircraft will take
off again at 3 second intervals.   The afternoon was spent in briefings and
rehearsals, to try to perfect the timing.
  Wednesday Oct. 3rd. 1956.           After Met. briefing Sqn. Ldr. Dobbie, and "flying doctor" from the Institute of
Aviation Medicine gave a most interesting talk on oxygen and pressurisation
          Flying consisted of two battle-formation sorties, two wing flypast rehearsals
with a rearm in between, and two practices by the squadron aerobatic team.   By lunch
time, when flying ceased, 12 hours 40 minutes had been flown.
          The afternoon was spent in tidying the hangar and servicing the aircraft.
Flt. Lt. Watson represented the station at tennis against H.Q. 2nd. T.A.F.
  Thursday Oct. 4th. 1956.            The Secretary of State for Air, Mr. Nigel Birch visited the station
accompanied by the Commander in Chief and the A.O.C.   After a flypast of twelve
aircraft which included "threading the needle" by three sections of four aircraft in low level batches the S.O.S. was given a demonstration of an operational turn
          The Squadron aerobatic team were to have given a show over the airfield, but
were told not to do aerobatics and that they might do tight turns only.
          In the afternoon after the Secretary of State for Air had left the squadron flew past with twelve aircraft and then did two sorties of twelve on high level
battle, which brought the sorties flown for the day up to 48.
5th. 1956.           Station stand-down.  
8th. 1956.           29 sorties were flown on mixed exercises which included cine quarter attacks
for the first time since the Sylt detachment.
          Fg. Off. Clayton-Jones flew to R.A.F. Wildenwrath to attend a lecture on guided
missiles at 2nd T.A.F. H.Q., and Fg. Off. Lynn was detached to Wildenwrath for
a week for the Aviation Medicine Course.
          Only four aircraft were available for most of the day due to servicing
requirements.   A Night flying programme was planned, but cancelled late in the
afternoon because of deteriorating weather conditions.
          The squadron Squash team defeated 4 Squadron by 3-2 in a match played this
9th. 1956.           The squadron commenced its tour as duty Battle Flight today, five
aircraft were airborne by 0820 hours.   Normal B/F procedures were carried out all
day in good weather conditions.   The aerobatic team carried out a practice later
in the afternoon.
  Wednesday Oct. 10th. 1956.           Weather conditions were once again favourable and the squadron carried out
a good mornings flying on B/F.   A detachment of Naval personnel from Wilhelmshaven
visited the station and were entertained around the camp   The aerobatic team gave
a very good display on their behalf and this was greatly admired and appreciated.
Sports in the afternoon took the form of soccer where the station eleven (with 3
squadron representatives) drew with Oldenburg 3-3, and another team beat the naval
team by 8-2.
11th. 1956.           Early morning fog delayed the commencement of flying.   This cleared and the
flying programme got under way about 1000 hours.   Clear weather prevailed after this
and a total of 21 hours was flown.   The serviceability on the squadron is still being
well maintained and the flying hours achieved are well ahead of the monthly target. The aerobatic team continued their practice for their future engagements.
12th. 1956.           Only one battle flight sortie was flown today before the weather deteriorated
very rapidly and the state remained red for the rest of the day.   The aerobatic team
went off after lunch bound for Dreux in France.   They staged at Wahn en route   The
display is to commemorate the 1st. anniversary of the 60th Troop Carrier (Medium)
Wing arrived at Dreux.
13th. 1956.           Apart from the aerobatic team aircraft, which have gone to France, the squadron still was able to maintain the duty battle flight.   These, under GCI control
carried out normal interception exercises and were involved in quite a few interesting
dogfights.   The standard of control would appear to be improving and this adds
interest to B/F flying.
          The squadron stood down at lunch for the week-end.
15th. 1956.           Still maintaining a four a/c programme the squadron began its last day of duty
B/F tour   Weather conditions were once again very favourable.   The aerobatic team
returned from Dreux in the late afternoon and it would appear that they had an
excellent week-end.   Their display was given on Sunday afternoon when the weather
suddenly cleared after fog conditions had prevailed most of the day.   The main
feature of the display was a six aircraft loop with the spare aircraft and F/Lt.
of 118 Sqdn. joining the original four.   The display was a N.A.T.O. symbol
of cooperation - the new American F100 skyblazer team and Patroille De France
were also there.
16th. 1956.           Exercise Guest was on the programme for today and the squadron came to
standby at 0600 hours   A danger of fog developing was reported by met. and a pair got
airborne very early to do a weather recce.   This proved favourable and flying
began on a restricted basis.   Apart from the exercise flying in the role of high level
support, local flying was carried out, consisting mainly of high level battle
.   The ground servicing standard was quite excellent and eight a/c were
flown on nearly all of the sorties.
  Wednesday Oct. 17th
          Bad visibility and low cloud held up flying early today   Pairs flying was
carried out late in the morning and the weather conditions were ideal for GCA
practices.   Since the GCA has been installed, it has improved steadily and the pilots
become more confident with each practice carried out.   The squadron had no section
league soccer game and were engaged in a friendly match with Tech. Wing.   They lost
this game by 7-1, but it can be said they were not at full strength.   Other sports
practiced were squash and running while many people spectated at the novice boxing
heats in the gymnasium.
  Thursday Oct. 18th. 1956.           Once again the airfield was fog bound early in the morning and as before
no flying was practicable.   Flying began under the new "Weather Minima" scheme
which has just been introduced but flying was stopped again just after lunch when rain
and low cloud became prevalent.   Because of this we had a lecture by F/Lt. Payne on
the GCA system and controls.   This was of good value as many good points were
brought out to the benefit of both the flying and ground sides.   Squadron Leader
began a spell of local leave today.
  Friday 19th           With six aircraft serviceable today flying carried on, on a much relaxed programme.
The six aircraft were flown as one formation and did high level battle formation and
cine practice.   Being so far ahead on our flying task enables the limited flying
to be arranged so that maximum benefit can be got from de-briefings and effort put
into the servicing of the other aircraft.   In the evening all the officers and many
of the ground personnel attended the finals of the 2nd T.A.F. Novice Boxing.
  20th.   The only flying scheduled for the day was for the aerobatic team to give a display
for the purpose of being photographed by a Mr. Crease, the official Air Ministry
representative.   Low cloud and rain did not permit this however;   the morning was
spent on Squadron duties followed by a lecture on interrogation procedures, given
by Flt. Lt. A.J. Colvin.   The Squadron stood down for the week-end at lunchtime.
Because of the weather conditions the usual week-end sports activities were curtailed
A cocktail party was given by the Squadron to bid farewell to Squadron Leader Sykes,
one of our two present active honorary members.
  22nd. Monday           A limited programme of four aircraft was carried out until lunch-time today.
The only flying after this was done by the aerobatic team to have photographs taken -
this was to be done above cloud because of the poor conditions at lower levels.
Fg. Off. R.H. Biggs returned from leave today.
  23rd             Because of servicing requirements only two aircraft were flown today.   Low
weather conditions offered good instrument flying practice and numerous G.C.A.s
were carried out.   A night flying programme was arranged but was not carried out
because of the weather.
          Fg. Off. J.E. Pigdon went to Wildenwrath to attend a 2nd T.A.F. Basketball meeting.
  24th             No flying was possible this morning with very low cloud and poor visibility.
As a lead-up to a forthcoming Escape and Evasion exercise we had a most interesting
talk by Fg. Off. I.E. Carr of 4 Squadron who recently took part in a large scale Command
exercise of similar nature.   Following this there was general briefing by the
Station Commander on tactics etc. which we might use on the exercise.   To finish
the morning's ground study programme we saw a most enlightening film on low level
          The afternoon was devoted to sports.   The Squadron team drew 3 - 3 in a section league game, while five of the pilots played in the Wing team which defeated
the Administrative Wing side.
  25th             Although we had already achieved our monthly flying task, flying continued in an
effort to catch up on the yearly target.   Four aircraft were maintained on the
programme, carrying out various sorties of battle formation and high level cine
exercises.   Training flying was also carried out in Vampire T.11 aircraft - mostly
sector reconnaissance in view of tomorrow's exercise.   Fg. Off. Lynn had a suspected
manual reversion of his elevators whilst doing a formation take-off, but succeeded
in landing the aircraft safely, with powered controls.
          Lt. T.F.B. Young R.N. returned from leave today.
  26th             Although weather conditions were favourable, no flying was done this morning.
Servicing and cleaning of aircraft was carried on, while most of the pilots devoted
their time getting together the necessary materials for the escape exercise.   A
Squadron briefing was held just before lunch, after which we stood down until 16.00 hrs.
when the main briefing was held.   The object of the exercise was to reach a
rendezvous in a neutral zone after a simulated break out from detention some 30 miles
from the rendezvous.   The exercise is to last 36 hours, starting this evening; and
19 squadron pilots took part in the simulated break out at approximately 1930 hours,
intent on reaching the northern coast of the Jever peninsular where they would find
"launches" which would carry them to friendly shores.
          An opposition force consisting mainly of R.A.F. Regiment personnel were posted
at various strategic positions within the exercise boundaries and this combined with
the natural hazards of the countryside made the exercise very difficult.   Cross
country movement was the most difficult because of the heavy ground and innumerable
dykes.   This however was the only reasonably safe route because main roads and
bridges were either patrolled by vehicles or had static guard posts.
          Various escape plans were adopted by squadron pilots; some joined forces,
perhaps thinking there was security in numbers, while others remained in their
original pairs.   It appeared that everyone had the same idea that the broad Ems-
Jade Canal could prove the main obstacle along the route.   This might have been the
major downfall of many because an all out effort was made to reach the canal as
early as possible resulting in physical fatigue in many cases and an early capture
for less fortunate people.
          The weather was ideal for evading - extremely cold with ground fog in many
27th. 1956.           Capture resulted in being taken back to the enemy H.Q. where prisoners were
relieved of all, or nearly all, personal equipment and locked up in extremely cold
cells, clad only in the briefest of shorts and laceless boots.   There they stayed for
periods varying from 9-16 hours awaiting interrogation.   All this simulated in a minor way the routine used in the Korean campaign and was known to us as "softening-
up".   The actual interrogation itself was most realistic and great value was
gained from it.   In the short time available to them the American interrogation team tried on us most of the approaches to which we might be subjected in actual
          For those who were still free, weather conditions were good but as the day
went on deteriorated and after darkness fell a cold wind, together with rain made
conditions most unpleasant.
          To last them over the period of the exercise escapees were issued with only
a very small emergency ration pack;   this was no hardship because lots of food
in the way of apples, carrots, potatoes etc. was acquired from the local area as
the evaders moved on.
28th. 1956.           The exercise finished at 1200 hours today.   Out of the nineteen who broke out
six were successful in reaching their rendez-vous before the launches left, four
were still free, and nine were captured.
          There were numerous tales told of how different people got to the rendez-vous
Some had hidden in trucks, others had openly held up a N.A.A.F.I. vehicle and this
took them quite a distance along their route.
          Many contacts were made with the German inhabitants and a very friendly spirit
was apparent in most cases.   Escapees were very thankful for the hot drinks etc.
which were offered to them.
          In the evening a general debriefing was held on the interrogation proceedings.
This was held in the mess and took the form of an informal lecture by Lt. French
U.S.A.F. who was the leader of the visiting interrogation team.
29th. 1956.           The squadron held a private debriefing on the exercise this morning.   No flying
was done and the ground crews continued to service and clean the aircraft.   Any
hopes of Hunter flying in the afternoon were abandoned when weather deteriorated
rapidly and the airfield colour state was declared as red.   Only two instrument
training flights in the Vampire T11 were achieved before flying ceased for the day.
30th. 1956.           A very strong cross wind was blowing today and frequent showers of rain
and sleet conditions were quite wintry.   Only air tests were flown by the squadron,
and a Vampire T11 was utilised for instrument flying practice.   Most of the pilots
busied themselves with monthly returns etc. which were due for completion tomorrow.
          In the evening there was a further debriefing on the week-end's exercise, this
time mainly to show us the defensive lay-out and how the defensive forces were
deployed at different times during the period.   This was most enlightening and helped
us see where mistakes had been made in our tactics.   Several escapees were called
upon to relate their personal experiences during the exercise and these were most
interesting and amusing.
          Two new members arrived to join the squadron this evening;   they were Flt. Lt.
R. Poole
, and Fg. Off. C. Hardie.   Both have previously flown Hunter aircraft in
Fighter Command.
31st. 1956.           On this the last day of the month most of the time was devoted to the returns
and end of month reports.   There were very few Hunter sorties flown and these were
all individual trips of aerobatics and low flying.   Lt. Young R.N. did an endurance
test trip and remained airborne for 1 hour 45 minutes.   Sports were played in the
afternoon - the squadron teams played Flying Wing H.Q. and lost 10-5, whilst the wing
pilots team, with six 93 players defeated 118 squadron by 4-3.
Operational Type. Day Night  Sorties
Hunter Mk.4 384.00 13.20     546     
Training Type.      
Vampire T11.          72.90             1.55             75        
          456.90           15.15            621        
  5th.   Flt. Lt. R. Poole was posted to the squadron 30th. October, from 247 Sqn. Odiham  
  8th.   Fg. Off. C Hardie was posted to the squadron 30th. October, from 111 Sqn. Biggin Hill  
  8th.   Plt. Off. P.L.F. Bradley was posted to the squadron 11th. October, from O.C.U.  
  12th.   Fg. Off. J.R. Lynn went on an Aviation Medicine Course.  
1.     October's weather was reasonably good and when marginal conditions did exist
full use was made of the G.C.A.;   this helped to keep the flying intensity up and
enabled the flying task to be comfortably exceeded.   Aircraft serviceability
remains high.
2.     The flying training this month included a Duty Battle Flight week, which gave
good practice in interceptions:   there being plenty of "trade" available.
However, with gunsights retracted, the final stages of the attacks
can only be roughly gauged.   On Exercise "Guest" the squadron was employed in the
escort role, so once again no cine was taken and this accounts for the rather lower
number of gunnery exercises this month.   Otherwise normal syllabus training was
carried out;   this however included only one night flying period.
3.     There was an Air Day at U.S.A.F. airbase Dreux near Paris on 14th. where
the squadron aerobatic team performed, for what now appears to be the last show
of the season.   They have completed thirteen displays this year, seven away and
six at Jever.
4.     Exercise "Winter Corn", an escape and evasion exercise occupied the last week
end of the month and proved to be grueling but extremely useful endurance test.
It certainly gave all pilots valuable experience.
      Signed DFM Browne                     
(D.F.M. BROWNE.)                         
Squadron Leader.                         
Officer Commanding.                   
No. 93 Squadron.                          
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540