roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book November 1954 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis
Place Date Time Summary of Events                                  COMPILING OFFICER  Fg.Off. G.E. Hickman REF. TO APPENDICES

GeorgeHickman.jpg, 8515 bytes

R.A.F. Jever November
1st           Battle Flight was the main Squadron commitment until all Sabres were grounded at midday because of an electrical fault.   The GCI had no targets and so we split
into pairs for practice interceptions.
  2nd             Our time was occupied by instructional lectures and this afternoon by a pilots
meeting and a film show.
  3rd             The programme for today was lectures.   The afternoon was devoted to sport.
Flying Officer Ramsay went to Jever for a Board of Survey.
  4th             This morning we attended lectures, and this afternoon several pilots went to
Jever for a Dining In Night to say farewell to our I.R.E. Flight Lieutenant Hughes.
  5th             Some Sabres were serviceable today, and so we began flying again.   During the
past few days we have been flying the Meteor 7 and Vampire T 11 whenever possible.
  6th             After meteorological briefing we saw a demonstration of fighting petrol fires.
Thanks to the hard work put in by the ground crews most of our aircraft are now
serviceable, and eight were flying this morning.
          Over the weekend Wing Commander Allen, our ex-Squadron Commander visited us
from Fassberg.
  8th             The main Squadron commitment was Battle Flight.   Several sorties being flown
at heights up to 35,000 feet.
  9th             We had the use of Strohen air to ground range, but at first the weather was
unserviceable.   The pilots attended lectures on icing and G.C.A.   The weather
cleared by midday, and firing commenced.   The top score was 11 percent by
Flying Officer Couch.
          On the last sortie of the day, Flight Lieutenant Iles had a tyre burst on
landing, but managed to control the aircraft, and no serious damage was
  10th             Part of our flying programme today consisted of attacks on Jever airfield to
test the A.A. defences manned by the R.A.F. Regiment wings.
  11th             Eight aircraft were flying this morning, but in the afternoon it was cut to
four to enable the groundcrews to complete as many primaries as possible before
returning to Jever.
  12th             The day was spent packing and cleaning in preparation for our return to Jever.   In
the evening there was an all ranks Squadron party in the N.A.A.F.I. Yacht Club at
  13th             The rail party left for Jever with Flying Officer Leigh-Lancaster in charge.
For the pilots there was a fire fighting demonstration using a new fire tender with
bicarbonate and compressed nitrogen to control the flames.
  15th             This morning the Squadron aircraft flew into Jever.   All our aircraft got
there at the first attempt in spite of the poor weather conditions prevailing at
the time.
  16th             Several fours flew in battle formation until 14.30 hours when the weather
deteriorated, which stopped flying for the rest of the day.   25 hours had been
flown by then.
          Work is still in progress on the extension to our runway and flying is
restricted slightly.   [Click to see story of extension.]
  17th             Whilst flying in battle formation at 35,000 feet this morning, Flying Officer
had a 'flame out'.   He glided down to 15,000 feet where he relit his
engine successfully.   On inspection of the aircraft the rear turbine bearing was
found to have failed.
  18th             Fog caused all flying to be cancelled except for a weather check at midday.
Instead a film programme was arranged.
  19th             No flying because of fog.   We started the day with a war history film, and
returned to the Squadron for normal ground duties.
          An inspection order was received concerning the failure of rudder trim brackets
on Sabres.   Some were found to be cracked.   The spares, which are being made
locally, should be ready within two weeks.
          There was a sports afternoon.   93 Squadron pilots soccer team, played
4 Squadron pilots, but lost by one goal.
  20th             No flying because of poor visibility.   Ground training and inspections were
carried out after the Station parade.
  22nd             Ten pilots flew by Anson to Wildenwrath to visit the Sabre Technical Training
unit, and returned in the evening.   This was a very worth while visit, but one
day was insufficient to absorb all the detailed instructions.
  23rd             Another eight pilots went to Wildenwrath, and those left at Jever enjoyed a
good day's flying (23 hours).   All of the available pilots had three or four
sorties each.
  24th             Battle Flight flew one sortie before low cloud, and freezing rain caused
flying to be cancelled.   Two aircraft were damaged by birds shortly after take off.
This afternoon was devoted to sports.
  25th             There was a coating of ice on the runway, and by the time this had melted, the
visibility had deteriorated too much to allow flying for the rest of the day.
  26th             Because of low cloud and poor visibility, flying didn't start until 11.40 hours,
when the weather cleared considerably.   16½ hours were flown.
  27th             Only one detail of eight aircraft was flown after the Station parade.  
  29th             Flying was held up this morning for an hour because of haze.  The aerobatic
team, which the Squadron is in the process of forming, had a practice.
  30th             Flying Officer Hampton took a bird damaged Sabre to the M.R.S.U. at Oldenburg, and
brought a repaired Sabre back.   Generally a good day's flying, especially by
'B' Flight, who were not troubled by unserviceability.   49 sorties were flown
making a total of 33½ hours for the day.
                           Rounds fired                       :-                 2284
                     Stoppages                           :-                    Nil
                     Stoppage Rate                   :-                        -

                     Hours flown in November                           :-
                                           Sabre                                        :-      274
                                           Meteor 7                                   :- )
                                                                                                 )       21
                                           Vampire T.11                          :- )
                                           Total                                          :-       295

                     Total Sorties                :-                            457
  1st   Flight Lieutenant Colvin returned from leave.  
  6th   Flt.Lt. D'Arcy returned from leave, and was transferred to No. 4 Squadron, as a Flight Commander.  
  7th   F/O Mitchell returned from leave.  
  8th   F/Os Revnell and Fewell went to U.K. on leave.  
  10th   F/O Page returned from leave.  
  14th   F/O Culver went to U.K. on leave.  
  20th   F/Os Balfour and Couch went on U.K. leave.  
  24th   F/O Ramsay went to U.K. on a P.A.I.s course.  
          The Squadron left Wunstorf for Jever between the 13th and 16th November.   The
move was satisfactorily carried out, with the main party leaving by rail, and the
rear party by road, after handing over all the buildings.   All 15 aircraft were
serviceable, and flew out as arranged in spite of some doubtful weather.
          The night before the Squadron left Wunstorf, a Squadron party was arranged
for the airmen in the N.A.A.F.I. Yacht Club at Steinhuder Meer.,   This function
was attended by the Detachment Commander, and representatives from No4 Squadron
          There has been a reorganization of technical sections in the squadron hangar
since our return, to give greater centralisation and clearer control within the
unit.   [Click to see fuller explanation of this re-organisation].   Also, with the same aim in mind,
first line servicing is being organised and controlled from a small dispersal point on the
tarmac.   A vehicle with a field telephone line to the Flight Office is to be used in future.

1.   All Sabres were grounded during the first few days of the month, so it wasn't
until 5th November, that flying started up again with the first four serviceable
aircraft.   However, the remaining week of our Wunstorf attachment produced over
100 Sabre hours.   This fairly concentrated flying training was evenly balanced
and included air to ground at Strohen range.
2.   Wunstorf's weather factor has proved a great 'boon' to the Squadron, after
the previous two months of curtailed flying.   All pilots got the opportunity
of flying reasonably frequently.
3.   Since returning to Jever on the 15th, there have only been 6 days fit for
flying.   159 Sabre hours have been flown during this period, making a monthly
total of 274 hours.   Flying has been only slightly restricted by the work on
the runway.   [Click to see fuller report on runway work.]   The main training emphasis
during the last half of the month has been on ¼ attacks exercises at high levels.   These exercises are often flown
by a section of 4 aircraft, pairs being split for attacks and interceptions on
a time basis, then being reformed and returning to base on a snake Q.G.H.
4.   Eight aircraft, at the start of each day, has been the average serviceability
during the last two months.   This is considered the absolute minimum with which
to achieve any satisfactory training and just sufficient sorties per pilot per
month.   It is, in fact only fifty percent of the planned serviceability for
a 22 U.E. Squadron.

Signed DFM Browne                                                   
(D.F.M. BROWNE)                                                      
Squadron Leader                                                       
Officer Commanding                                                 
No. 93 Squadron.                                                       

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540