roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book March 1956 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2803 Microfilm Row1 Draws 52-71
Place Date Time Summary of Events                                                  Compilation Officer: Fg. Off. W.R.Clayton-Jones REF TO APPENDICES
      ClamClayton-Jones.jpg, 7609 bytes  
R.A.F. Jever 1st March 1956  

          Very strong winds persisted all day, but they did not affect flying.   The
flying programme consisted entirely of high level battle formation and practice
interceptions.   30 sorties were flown.
          In the afternoon three pilots conducted a party of German Naval Air Service
Cadets round the station.   These cadets are doing preliminary training at
Wilhelmshaven before proceeding to the United States for flying training.
These were the first German forces to visit this station since the R.A.F. took
over.   It was a great success.

  2nd             Once again strong winds persisted all day.   A fully flying programme was
carried out and a total of 25 hours 15 minutes Hunter flying was achieved.

          Flying commenced in good weather conditions immediately after the weekly
Squadron parade.   These parades are carried out by Squadron personnel and prove
much more popular than a full station parade.   The flights are commanded by
Squadron officers who instruct the airmen in different drill movements each week.
The airfield closed at 12.30 hours.

  5th Monday           Once again weather conditions were excellent and flying commenced at 08.15 hours.
A full programme was carried out, consisting of high level battle formation and
cine sorties.   Several sorties were utilised for the completion of conversion
exercises and local flying by the new pilots.   At the end of the day our monthly
total was 87 hours - an excellent start to the month.
  6th             Poor visibility prevented flying until 10.15 hours.   Four aircraft became
airborne with the airfield in amber conditions.   A prang by a 4 Squadron Hunter
caused a runway obstruction and our section were diverted to Oldenburg - our first
diversion since Fg. Off. Davis went to Oldenburg on his first Hunter trip on January
19th.   Weather conditions deteriorated and flying was restricted to one pair per
Squadron.   This curtailed programme gave only a total of 11.40 hours for the day.
  7th             Clear blue skies and good visibility persisted all morning.   14 sorties,
mainly high level battle trips, were carried out.
          The afternoon was devoted to sport.   All personnel, except those on committed
duty, participated in some form of physical activity.   A station cross-country run
is organised each Wednesday for those not taking part in team games.
  8th             Another day of clear skies.   This continuation of good weather conditions
permits the training programme to go on most efficiently.   The Squadron carried out
a night flying programme in Hunters for the first time:- this consisted of 8 sorties
by 4 aircraft, whilst 2 T.11 sorties were also completed.
          The pilot strength was reduced today by the departure of Fg.Off. Davis on repatriation.
  9th             Flying commenced at 08.15 hours.   Two sorties of 4 aircraft were flown
before a shortage of ground crew personnel restricted us to a pairs programme.
It is difficult to fly a full programme as well as carry out the hangar servicing on
the Hunters and the 2 remaining Sabres because of the few riggers we have available.
  10th             Only 3 aircraft were serviceable this morning.   A new action was introduced
whereby these aircraft were pre-flighted and airborne before the commencement of
the Squadron parade.   This ensures maximum utilisation of the aircraft and gives
us an extra turn-about on the morning's flying.   Flying ceased for the week at
12.30 hours.
  12th Monday      Because of Primary and Primary Star inspections being due, only two aircraft
were available most of the day.   A pairs cine programme was carried out until late
afternoon when an air test was flown on another aircraft.   Weather conditions,
apart from early morning stratus, have once again been favourable.   A night
flying programme was planned but had to be cancelled because of the lack of aircraft.
  13th             Low cloud covered the area early this morning but soon dispersed.   Flying
continued in the usual way with the accent still on cine and high level battle
   A new system was introduced whereby the pilots turn-about the aircraft
on the lunch time sortie.   This appears to be quite satisfactory practice and is
an opportunity for the pilots to keep in touch with the daily servicing for which they
are qualified.   Night flying was carried out for the first time by five of the
Squadron pilots.
  14th   The mornings flying consisted mainly of high level battle formations - practice
dogfights add a little variety to the normal routine flying.   The Squadron soccer team
lost by 5-4 to Tech Wing "B" in the section league during the afternoon.   The remainder
of the Squadron were once again engaged in running round the airfield.   Fg.Off. Exley
and Fg.Off. Ritchie were playing in the Station Soccer team against R.A.F. Ahlhorn.
Jever lost 4-2.
  15th   A pairs programme was carried out all day to enable cine exercises to be carried out.
In the afternoon Fg.Off. Taylor ferried a Hunter from Oldenburg, bringing our aircraft
Strength to twelve.   Serviceability has been very good in the last few days and
turn-abouts thus kept to a minimum.   A planned programme has proved it's worth in
the last week and given maximum utilisation of the aircraft available.
  16th   Once again good weather conditions prevailed.   The flying was devoted to cine
exercises.   A total of twenty eight sorties were flown.
  17th   The airfield was red all morning with fog and low cloud.   Fg.Off. Ritchie and Fg.Off.
were shown around the G.C.I. station at Handorf.   They played for the station
soccer team which beat H.Q. 2 TAF in the cup semi-finals, in the afternoon.
          Fg. Off. Dunbar and Fg.Off. Hickman played in the station hockey team in a cup
match at Jever.   They lost 2-1.
  19th             It was reasonable flying weather, if a bit cold and 19 hours were flown.   The
turn round during the lunch hour was carried out by pilots again, which we find more
efficient than having the airmen in two lunch time shifts.
           Fg.Off. Clayton-Jones came back from leave in the U.K. and takes up the batten
of Squadron Adjutant.
  20th             Four aircraft were serviceable throughout the day, and 35 sorties were flown.
Most of these were high level battle with P.I.s.   At the end of the day a four went
up to practice formation aerobatics which they finished with an excellent box
landing, our first on Hunters.
          8 of these sorties were flown at dusk and night, carrying out Q.G.H.s and
practice circuits.   This brought our monthly total up to 298 hours 10 minutes.
          Fg.Off. Chadwick took a Sabre down to Geilenkirchen, and returned by T.11.
  21st             It was a lovely day, as befits the first day of Spring and 17 sorties were
flown, including two by Sqn.Ldr. Browne in the Wing Leader's aircraft.
          The sorties varied between high level battle formation and aerobatics ( both
individual and in close formation.)   Flying ceased soon after mid-day, and Fg.Off.
and Fg.Off. Exley went to play football away, against R.A.F. Oldenburg.
  22nd             The flying programme was made out for quarter attacks, but hazy conditions and
high cloud forced us up to 35,000 feet for ranging and tracking exercises.
          Fg.Off. Sanderson flew our last Sabre back to Benson.   He had been cleared to
do a "beat up" of the airfield, which he did by the 93 Squadron tower at 500 knots,
and the last we saw of our last Sabre was a trail of black smoke swallowed up by
the haze.
  23rd             It looked as if there would be no flying today as the visibility was about
2,000 yards.   Nine pilots went to A.S.F. to do the "Qualified Daily Servicing"
test, which all passed.
          Limited flying did in fact take place, 20 sorties being flown, which were
cloud flying out of necessity.
  24th & 25th Stand down.  
  26th Monday The plan for this week is to do very little flying and to concentrate on getting
the aircraft up to strength for the fly past at Wildenwrath.   The fly past is in
honour of the Duchess of Kent, who is presenting a Standard to No. 16 Squadron.
The Squadron have to provide six aircraft with one as spare.
          8 sorties were flown and this took us past the target.   375.15 hours were
flown on operational type this month.
          A party was held in the crew room for the whole Squadron, as an appreciation
for the excellent work put in by the N.C.O.s and airmen this month, and for the
results achieved during the last year.   These results were :-
                  (a)   3,910 operational type hours flown, the most of any Squadron in 2 TAF,                   including reaching the flying target seven months in succession.
                  (b)   287,705 rounds fired for 75 stoppages, once again the best and
                  most in 2 TAF.
  27th             It had been intended not to fly at all today, but the Squadron was required
to provide four aircraft for Exercise 'Sid'.   The four were scrambled twice, and
an average of 6 Canberras were intercepted.
  28th             Sqn.Ldr. Browne and Flt.Lt. Hayes flew down to Geilenkirchen to test the
timing of the flypast.   Three air tests were carried out.
  29th              The morning was spent on end of month returns and the general tying up of
Squadron affairs in preparation for the Easter Grant.
  30th & 31st. Stand down - Easter Grant.  
  8th   Fg.Off. Davis left for repatriation to U.K.  
  22nd   Fg.Off. Sanderson flew our last Sabre to R.A.F. Benson in England.  
  30th   Fg.Off. Busby proceeded to H.Q. No.2 Group.  

           Operational Type                                              TTDay                                Night                 sorties  
          Hunter Mk.4                                                  359.40                                  15.45                  446
          Sabre Mk.4                                                        5.00                                       --                         5
     Training Type
         Vampire T.11                                                   32.40                                    5.30                    52   
                                                              Total           397.20                                  21.15                 503   



                This March's weather has been very satisfactory from the flying side.   It
allowed the Squadron to exceed the full flying target relatively easily, in spite
of an average aircraft strength of ten.   A total of 380 Hunter hours were flown
of which 16 were at night.
          All pilots are up to a reasonably operational state again, although before
putting the Squadron operational, most pilots still have to complete 50 hours on
type and require more practice in their weapon training.   It is certainly a pity
that pilots who have learnt to use Radar ranging gunsight during the last two
years to some effect, should now lose their technique, because the more modern
Hunter has still only got an out of date manual ranging system.
          The training programme was fairly well balanced, the greatest emphasis being
placed on formation, cine gun exercises, dog fights and Q.G.H. procedures.   The
ground training was somewhat limited, but all pilots on the Squadron are now
qualified "Crew Chiefs", and keep themselves in practice by "turning round"
their aircraft during the airmen's lunch period.
                The posting in of three new pilots and acceptance of four more Hunters,
brings the Squadron up to almost full operational strength.   The shortage in
ground crews in certain trades has become more apparent in shift work which is
necessary to get the maximum utilisation from the serviceable aircraft available.
Three N.C.O.s have signed on since the announcement of the new pay code.   S.N.C.O.s
are more satisfied, but the average airman does not appear to be particularly
influenced by the considerably better terms of service now offered.


Signed DFM Browne                                      
Squadron Leader                                           
Officer Commanding                                     
No. 93 Squadron.                                           

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540