roundel jsl spacer hunter1
Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540
F540 Operations Record Book January 1955 NO 93 SQUADRON.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2636 Microfilm Row 1 Draws 52-71 from Duncan Curtis
Place Date Time Summary of Events                                  COMPILING OFFICER  Flying Officer G. Hickman REF. TO APPENDICES

GeorgeHickman.jpg, 8515 bytes

R.A.F. JEVER Jan.1st   Station Stand Down  
  1955.2nd   Station Stand Down  
  3rd             The flying programme was limited throughout the day to 4 aircraft per Squadron
due to lack of diversion airfields.
  4th             The flying was restricted to 4 aircraft until 10.30. due to the unserviceability
of the homer.   The emphasis today was on ¼ attacks in preparation for Sylt.
  5th             We had the use of Meppen air to ground range this morning.   The highest scores
were by Flying Officer Sanderson, 17.9% and Squadron Leader Browne, 16%.   The
Squadron average was 6.1%   Exercise "Barrage" was planned to take place during
the afternoon, but was cancelled at the last moment.   These exercises consist of
long range cross countries.
  6th Monday           We had a full day's flying at Meppen Range today, the highest scores being by
Flying Officer Hampton, 12.1% and Flying Officer Sanderson 11%.   The Squadron
average was 4.5%.   A total of 29 hours was flown.
  7th             The Squadron carried out Battle Flight duties today.   When the aircraft were
pushed out of the hangar this morning they were immediately covered with hoar frost
which took almost 30 minutes to clear.   The airfield colour state was red for most
of the day and the only flying was a weather check by a pair from Battle Flight.
  8th             There was no flying after the Station parade.  
  10th Monday           A total of only 9 sorties was flown today because of poor weather conditions
including a strong cross wind.   Most of the day was spent on Squadron duties.
We were hoping to start towing our own flags today.   We will then be in
practice and so waste less time when we go to Sylt.
  11th             Flying did not start until 10.00 hours because of low cloud.   The pilots saw
last war films taken in combat against Me 163 and Me 262 aircraft, and also of the
effects of an atomic bomb.   This afternoon we started towing our own flags but as
yet the radar reflectors are not satisfactory.   A total of 32½ hours was flown.
  12th             There was no flying this morning because of ice and snow on the runway.   This
afternoon everyone was engaged in sporting activities.
  13th Monday           We began the day with aircraft recognition and meteorology lectures as snow
storms prevented flying from taking place.   Several sorties were made in the
Prentice and Vampire T.11 this afternoon.   Sand was spread on the runway in an
attempt to improve the braking action sufficiently to enable Sabres to fly tomorrow.
  14th             This morning we had lectures on the Sabre fuel system and on aircraft
recognition.   A few Sabre sorties were flown during the afternoon; the braking
action proved to be quite good.
  15th             One low level strike of nine aircraft with full drop tanks after the station
parade, was flown.
  17th Monday.           Snow storms prevented any flying from taking place today.   We had lectures
on air traffic control and aircraft recognition, followed by an instructional film
and a showing of our latest cine films.
  18th             The only flying today was one sortie in the Vampire T.11 by Squadron Leader
.   We began the day with a showing of some combat films and an aircraft
recognition test.   Afterwards we had a test and lecture on Army Organisation,
and an inter-flight Sabre Quiz.
  19th             During the morning eight Sabre sorties were flown as well as flying in the
Vampire T.11 and Prentice.   The afternoon was devoted to sporting activities.
  20th             Thick fog persisted all day and no flying took place.   We saw an army training
film, and during the afternoon those not employed on Squadron duties went Skeet
shooting and ski-ing.   Flying Officer Hampton fell and cracked a bone in his leg.
          Flight Lieutenant Hayes joined the Squadron from 266 Squadron to take over
command of 'A' Flight when Flight Lieutenant Horrell leaves.
  21st             The visibility improved during the night and flying, which began at 09.30 hours,
continued uninterrupted throughout the day.   A total of 32½ hours was flown, the
emphasis being on cine quarter attacks.
  22nd Monday           The Station parade was cancelled, but no flying took place because of freezing
rain.   The Squadron Commander inspected the hangar before we stood down for the
  24th Monday           No flying took place because of thick fog.   The lecture programme for today
consisted of one on aircraft recognition and another on the Growth of Communism.
The pilots then gave 5 minute lectures on any nominated subject.
  25th             Fog caused the cancellation of flying, and the visit of Air Chief Marshal
Sir Basil Embry.   The ground training programme consisted of lectures on
aircraft recognition, photo reconnaissance, navigation and a Sabre Quiz.
          During the afternoon the whole station was engaged in clearing snow off the
runway.  [Click to see video of this operation.]
  26th             There was no flying today because of ice and fog.   We had lectures on the
Sabre fuel system and Army Organisation.   A snow clearance programme was in operation
this afternoon.
  27th             The weather remained the same as yesterday and no flying took place.   Aircraft
recognition and A.T.C. were the subjects of lectures this morning, whilst the
afternoon was spent clearing snow.
  28th             The runway was not quite clear and ice covered taxi tracks prevented us from flying
We had lectures on aircraft recognition and Army Organisation.   During the
afternoon work was started on clearing the taxi tracks so that we will be
able to fly tomorrow if the fog holds off.
  29th             Flying started at 09.00 hours and a total of 11 hours was flown during the
morning.   The runway was quite clear, but there was still snow and ice on the
  31st Monday           Thick fog prevented flying from taking place.   Lectures this morning were
on aircraft recognition and air traffic.   The rest of the day was spent preparing
the monthly returns.
                                             163501 Squadron Leader D.F.M. BROWNE.
                          A FLIGHT                                                                 B FLIGHT
  2600756   Flt. Lt. R.W. HAYES.                                    57653  Flt. Lt. A.J. Colvin.
  3511209   Fg. Off. W.E. BELL                                      4016600   Fg. Off. B.A.E. SANDERSON
  583325     Fg. Off. T. BALFOUR                                   4076370  Fg. Off. A.C. RAMSAY
  4088080   Fg. Off. C.J. COUCH                                   4071748  Fg. Off. B.J. REVNELL
  3121595   Fg. Off. J.S.C.DAVIS                                    3511125  Fg. Off. J.E. MACKNISH
  3134267   Fg. Off. D.H. HARPER                                2538834  Fg. Off. K.B. SENAR
  3134854   Fg. Off. W.G. MITCHELL                            3511302  Fg. Off. C.E. HICKMAN
  31511207 Fg. Off. D.S. CHADWICK                           3512048  Fg. Off. D. EXLEY
  31512052 Fg. Off. R. GARTHWAITE                           4078920  Fg. Off. J.E. PIGDON
  4091475   Fg. Off. J.P. BUSBY                                     3515267  Fg. Off. J.C. CULVER
  3512098   Fg. Off. T. PAGE                                           2542285  Fg. Off. W.B.C. RITCHIE
  032557     Fg. Off. D.N. HAMPTON                              4086091  Fg. Off. P. LEIGH-LANCASTER
  1921649   Fg. Off. E.H. SCOTT                                    4084117  Fg. Off. D.J. FEWELL
  1804440   F.Sgt. SHRUBSOLE W.R.                          4104043  Fg. Off. B.D.D. DUNBAR
                                                                                             4102087  Fg. Off. W.R. CLAYTON-JONES
                                                                                             4034492  Sgt. KNIGHT. R.G.
  5th     Flt. Lt. Iles was transferred to No. 4 Squadron, as Flight Commander  
  11th     Fg. Off. Fewell went to R.A.F. Hospital Wegberg for a nose operation.  
  16th     Fg. Offs. Clayton-Jones, Dunbar and Scott joined the Squadron from O.C.U.  
  20th     Flt. Lt. Hayes joined the Squadron from 266 Squadron.  
  21st     Fg. Off. Hampton went into R.A.F. Hospital Rostrup.  
  22nd     Fg. Off. Fewell returned and went on sick leave.
During the month the following went on leave:-  Flt. Lt. Horrell, Fg. Offs. Page,
Leigh-Lancaster, Balfour, Sanderson, Chadwick and F.S. Shrubsole.
The following returned from leave:-  Fg. Offs. Hickman, Exley, Garthwaite, Busby,
Chadwick, Ritchie, Bell and Sgt. Knight.
Flt. Lt. Colvin and Fg. Off. Balfour returned from the Winter Survival Course at
Ehrwald.   Their places were taken by Fg. Offs. Harper and Exley.
          Ground activities, training and lectures were predominant this month, as the
weather precluded flying most days.   The snow provided a source for employment
and organisation in trying to keep the runway clear.
          A Board of Survey of this units files produced some useful results, and it
brought to light the need for renumbering and titling several files.
          The last of the hangar repairs, repainting and modifications have now been
          Snow, ice and fog were the main factors, which limited this month's flying
training so drastically.   There were only 10 days on which any flying was possible,
and this was the equivalent to only 7 full flying days.   208 Sabre hours have been
flown.   However, the poor weather did enable the ground crews to catch up on their
aircraft inspections and notably on the servicing and testing of gunsights, which
takes considerable number of man hours.
          Before the snow came, the Squadron towed off several radar flags, but the
radar reflecting qualities were disappointing even with the new Anning Reflectors.
Quarter attacks were practised on every available opportunity.  During the month
there were two short periods when the Air to Ground programme was possible - the
difficult weather conditions gave the firing a useful operational bias.   The usual
quota of battle flight duties were carried out and several attempts at Exercise
Barrage were abortive.   However, the tanked up aircraft were useful for low level
cross countries and practice strikes.
          The posting in of four new pilots this month brings the Squadron up to full
established strength, but also lowers the operational quality again.   The lack
of experienced pilots to give the right sort of lead to the majority (85%) of first
tour flying officers is a serious and continuous handicap.
                                     Rounds fired                             8,212
                               Stoppages                                         2
                               Stoppage Rate                         4,106

Flying summary for January.                     Hours                          Sorties
                                         Sabre                    208.25                         296
                                         Meteor 7                    2.30                              4
                                         Vampire T.11           9.55                            14
                                         Prentice                    5.00                               6  
                                         Total                     225.50                           320  

Signed DFM Browne                                             
(D.F.M. BROWNE)                                                  
Squadron Leader                                                   
Officer Commanding                                             
No. 93 Squadron.                                                   

Previous F540 List of F540s Next F540