(Click to see potential Attendees)
(Click to see Pictures)
JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
JSL AGM 15th March 2014
128 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7PY.
A note on the 2014 AGM in the RAF Club on the Saturday 15th March 2014, 'release brakes' at 1800, or before if short of fuel and you want to watch the Six Nations Rugby which will be displayed in the Millennium Suite from 1700 hrs. Get your drinks from the Running Horse until our bar opens at 1800 hrs.
(100 yards E of Hyde Park Corner tube or 600 yds W of Green Park- Both Piccadilly Line - see map below).
Last year 32 attended. Unfortunately Bill Maish was taken ill at the last minute and could not attend and return the Golden Share. However, we awarded it to Peter Jones for regular attendance and Bill passed it over to him when he recovered.
One reward for arranging these re-unions is when we re-establish contact with lost friends. Last year we were delighted to see Bernie Revnell of 93 Sqn attend for the first time in many years. This year Chris Stone is coming over from the States and we are hoping to make a special effort for a 93 Sqn mini-re-union at this event.
We have lost nine on their last sorties since the AGM last year - one of these was Sir Alan Smith a 93 Sqn pilot from WWII. Sadly another two were dearly remembered wives, Shirley Maish and Jill Booth. The remaining six were Ginger Friend 4 Sqn, Eric Bowen 122 Wg Adjutant, Roy Mitchell 4 Sqn, Arthur Strudwick CO 98 Sqn, Ian Madelin 4 Sqn and Taff Wallis 2 Sqn.
Once again I want in advance to thank most sincerely Mick, and Jo, for all the considerable effort they both put in to make the evening so very enjoyable.
I would just like to reiterate and remind relatives of those who have died, regardless of when, that you are very welcome to attend. Some relatives may feel uncertain about doing, please do not feel shy. Please help us by introducing yourselves so that we can perhaps find someone who hopefully can chat with you about the days your loved one was at Jever. Even if we can't find someone for you who knew your relative, we will introduce you to a 'regular' so that you can gain an insight of how special those days at Jever were and so better understand why we like to get-together annually. It is also an opportunity for the less modest of us to greatly over exaggerate his professional abilities.
I'm very pleased to learn that Danny Lavender will be attending again this year so giving us the opportunity to hear once more Danny singing old fighter pilot with the sensitive and cultural the finesse for which he is well known.
The Club is repeating its choice of one of the following four hot dishes:
1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie with Roast Potatoes & Vegetables - £16.50
2. Chicken Curry with Rice and Popadoms - £16.50
3. Fish & Chips - £16.50
4. Grilled Minute Steak with Chips & Salad garnish - £16.50
When you reply to our Calling Notice please let Mick know if you want food and what your choices are. Please pay for it at the bar on the night. If you are staying at the Club give your room number and it will be charged to your account.
Mick has 8 rooms reserved again for anyone who wishes to stay at the RAF Club, (you do not have to be a member), just let Mick know what type of room you would like.
The costs at the RAF Club for 2014, which do not include breakfast (£8.25), are as follows:
Single room £69.00 £81.00
Double room £116.00 £135.00
Double Superior room £131.00 £154.00
Come to the JSL while years last!
I have the honour to be
Your Almost Obedient Chairman
JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
To Mick Ryan, Far End, Chipstead Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent TN13 2RG
AGM 2014 1800 Hrs
I will/will not be attending. Accompanied/unaccompanied
I do/do not require accommodation. If so, type?....................................
Please reply by e-mail if possible to: email@example.com
(Underscore, shifted hyphen, not a hyphen between mick and ryan.)
Please note that we use email letters to all those who have email addresses and ordinary mail to those who do not, so please keep us up to date. This year there were 61 posted and 125 E-mailed.
FOOD CHOICES ALL.
Please enter number of each required:
1. Steak, Kidney & Mushroom Pie - Roast Potatoes and Vegetables - £16.50.........
2. Chicken Curry with Rice and Popadoms - £16.50.......
3. Fish & Chips - £16.50.......
4. Grilled Minute Steak & Chips and salad garnish - £16.50......
Updates (Especially email)
Information Comments or Polite (MN) Suggestions (including who should get the Golden Share?):
1. I offer the following suggestions for those who may make a late decision to come and may not be able to gain a room in the Club.
2. Where web sites exist, I leave those of you on the net to look up the details. I have included some basic information on the accommodation for those not on the net so you will be able to contact the organisation of your choice.
3. Caledonian Club. The RAF Club has reciprocal arrangements with other clubs both in UK and overseas for RAF Club members only. The Caledonian Club is one of them and is within easy walking distance of the Club, being at 9 Halkin Street Belgravia. [See map below}. The telephone number is: 020 7235 51662 - however, do not deal direct with the Caledonian Club in the first instance. I suggest you do that through Mick to avoid any booking cockups. I have included the number so if you are accommodated there you can contact the Caledonian Club about your personal arrangements.
4. Direct Hotels London - www.Hotels.com. Modestly calls itself the most popular Hotels website for cheap hotels in London. I suggest that if you are not on the net you ask a relative of friend who is, if you can call and see the website. It would be easy for the person to book online for you. There is a map showing where the hotels are. Prices vary according to the 'Star' rating. If you make a sudden late decision to attend call on 0871-200-01718.
5. Victory Services Club - www.vsc.co.uk. The Victory Services Club is a Tri-Service, All Ranks Members' Club for currently serving and retired members of the Armed Forces, ideally located at Marble Arch in the heart of London's West End. You will need to join (Single membership is £20 per annum through varying other categories to the most expensive Family [joint] £45 per annum).
6. Even if you are not coming to the AGM, it is worth noting that parents or children of serving or ex-service personnel can join in their own right under one of the membership categories, even though they have not been in any of the armed services. So if you or one of you family take grandchildren (or in our family more accurately termed 'domestic terrorists') to London for treats just once a year you will more than likely break even. Two visits and you are in the money. Costs vary: a single room, including breakfast, is £39.50.and at the other end of the scale, a family room en suite with 2 adults plus 1 sprog is £144.50. If you are not on the net, I suggest you do as I suggested above and ask a relative or friend who is to let you see the website. You can then do a virtual tour. It's a really good deal. Telephone 020-7616-8302.
7. I hope this information was useful.
LIST OF POTENTIAL ATTENDEES AT THE JSL AGM 2014 - 1700 hrs SAT 15 MARCH 14
RAF Club Room Booking Ref
23 + 11 ladies = 34 total
- Pat King - President - 2. Chicken CurryOwn booking
- Audrey King - 2. Chicken CurryOwn booking
- Dickie Barraclough - 2. Chicken CurryOwn booking
- Pete Bouch - 1. Steak Kidney Pie3542005
- Vic Dabin - 3. Fish and ChipsOwn booking
- Ron Gray - 3. Fish and ChipsOwn booking
- Del Gray - 3. Fish and ChipsOwn booking
- Roger Hymans - 1. Steak Kidney PieNot required
- Helen Hymans - 4. Steak & ChipsNot required
- Peter Jones - 1. Steak Kidney Pie3542004
- Colin Lamont - 2. Chicken Curry3542008
- Ann Lamont - 3. Fish & Chips3542008
- Danny Lavender - 1. Steak Kidney Pie3542012
- Caroline Lavender - 1. Steak Kidney Pie3542012
- Johnny Macknish - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Bill Maish - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Eric McFee- 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Eric Pigdon - 2. Chicken Curry3542007
- Al Pollock - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Trish Pollock - 3. Fish & ChipsNot required
- Mick Ryan, Web Master - 3. Fish & Chips3503094
- Jo Ryan - 3. Fish & Chips3503094
- Eric Sharp - 1. Steak Kidney PieOwn booking
- Clare Sharp - 1. Steak Kidney PieOwn booking
- Chris Stone - 1. Steak Kidney PieOwn Booking
- Toni Stone - 2. Chicken CurryOwn Booking
- Gordon Talbot - 3. Fish & ChipsNot Required
- Sheila Talbot - 3. Fish & ChipsNot Required
- William Talbot - 2. Chicken CurryNot Required
- Brian Thornton - 1. Steak Kidney Pie3542010
- Ann Thornton - 2. Chicken Curry3542010
- Mike Tyrrell - No foodNot required
- Philip Westwell - 2. Chicken CurryOwn Booking
- Andy Whitson - No foodNot required
Total Meal choices:
1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie - 9
2. Chicken Curry with Rice - 13
3. Fish & Chips. - 9
4. Steak & Chips - 1
No food - 2
Total - 34
Apologies for Absence:
- George Beaton
- Roy Booth - Overseas
- Fred Butcher - Overseas
- Brian Butterworth
- Henry Chambers
- Marcus Christ
- John Cummins
- Barry Dale
- Don Exley
- John Farley
- Roy Garthwaite
- Norman Giffin
- Gil Gray - Overseas
- Paul Hayward - In New Zealand
- Don Henderson
- Curly Hirst - Overseas
- Bob Holliday
- Pete Jennings
- Gunter Kipp
- Alan Laycock
- Roger Lindsay
- Paddy Minnis - Taken ill
- Joe Parker
- Bernie Revnell
- Mamie Sharman
- Gerry Shipley
- Andrew Thomas - In the desert
- Tommy Thompson
- Geoff Timms
- Barrie Tonkinson
- Heather McIntyre
- Jane Tydeman, Hammer West's daughter
- Tom Watson - undercarriage replacement
- Mike Wraight
- Club Events Noticeboard.
- Millennium Suite laid out ready for our Reunion.
- Bill Maish.
- Danny Lavender and Al Pollock.
- Mick Ryan banging on again!
- Trish and Al Pollock and Pat King our President.
- Ron Gray and Johnny MacKnish in the foreground and other shareholders enjoying a sip before supper.
- Roger Hymans and Pat King.
- Toni and Chris Stone.
- Colin and Anne Lamont.
- Mike Tyrrell, Eric Sharp and Roger Hymans.
- Our President, Pat King, about to award the 2014 Golden Share to Danny Lavender, aided and abetted by Mick Ryan.
- Danny Lavender having recieved the Golden Share from our President, Pat King.
- Our President, Pat King.
- Mike Tyrrell, Mick Ryan and Eric Sharp with Al and Trish Pollocks' heads in the foreground.
- Having a drink and a chat after supper, on the near table, Sheila Talbot, William Talbot back,
Chris Stone far side, Toni Stone far side, Ann Thornton back near side, Brian Thornton far side and
- Brian Thornton and Gordon Talbot putting the world to right.
- Roger Hymans, Gordon Talbot, Mick Ryan and Sheila Talbot chatting.
- Chris Stone and Mick Ryan talking to Colin Lamont.
- Mick Ryan, Toni Stone, Jo Ryan, Ann Lamont and Colin Lamont chatting over pre-supper drinks in our bar outside the Millennium Suite.
- Johnny MacKnish in the bottom left-hand corner and Mick and Jo Ryan just entering the dining room from our dedicated bar outside the Millennium Suite.
- Danny Lavender earning his Golden Share with another rendering of a 2 Sqn classic, Andy Whitson's head in foreground, Pat King top of head and Claire Sharp.
- Del and Ron Gray.
- Philip Westwell.
- Caroline Lavender and Jo Ryan.
- Colin and Ann Lamont.
- Pete Bouch.
- Trish Pollock.
- Mike Tyrrell, Danny Lavender, Roger Hymans and Al Pollock.
- Mick Ryan.
- Pat King, our President.
- Dickie Barraclough at rear, Al Pollock foreground, Audrey King rear, Trish Pollock and Colin Lamont.
- Eric McFee foreground, Del Gray at rear, Ron Gray, Caroline Lavender and Jo Ryan.
- Mike Tyrrell and Eric Sharp.
- Photographer caught photographing, Pete Bouch with camera, Andy Whitson, Aitch Hymans and Eric McFee at rear.
- Eric McFee.
- Peter Jones, Bill Maish at rear and Roger Hymans foreground.
- Dickie Barraclough at rear, Al Pollock foreground, Audrey King at rear, Trish Pollock, Colin and Ann Lamont.
- Audrey King, Dickie Barraclough, Ann and Colin Lamont and Pete Bouch at rear.
- Danny Lavender justifying his award of the Golden Share for choral contributions, closely watched by our President, Pat King.
- Son and Father, William and Gordon Talbot.
- Toni Stone and Brian Thornton.
- Ann Thornton and William Talbot.
- Johnny Macknish, Ron Gray, Del Gray and Chris Stone.
- Pete Bouch, Johnny Macknish, Ron Gray, Del Gray at rear, Toni Stone foreground, Brian Thornton,
Chris Stone taking photo and Sheila Talbot.
- Eric McFee.
- Del and Ron Gray, Johnny Macknish and Caroline Lavender head only.
- Chris Stone, Del and Ron Gray.
- Philip Westwell.
- Mike Tyrrell, Mick Ryan, Eric Sharp and Al Pollock all join in a rousing chorus of "Fighter Recce Pilot".
- Pete Jones and Bill Maish.
- Johnny Macknish and Caroline Lavender.
- Al and Trish Pollock.
- Colin Lamont, Pete Bouch and Chris Stone.
- Mick Ryan, Ann Lamont at rear, Gordon Talbot back and Sheila Talbot.
- Mick amd Jo Ryan and Al Pollock.
- Toni Stone, William Talbot, Sheila Talbot and Gordon Talbot.
- Pat King, our President about to award the Golden Share, watched by Eric Pigdon and Mike Tyrrell.
- Pat King, our President, Danny Lavender showing us the skills that won him the award of the Golden Share for regular attendance and choral contributions, watched by Mike Tyrrell, Mick Ryan, Eric Pigdon and Claire Sharp head only.
- Mike Tyrrell, Chris Stone and Mick Ryan.
- Pat King and Danny Lavender with Mike Tyrrell at the rear.
- Colin and Ann Lamont talking to Pete Bouch.