roundel jsl spacer hunter1
previous thumbnails next
To the end of 1953.

1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesFollowing my trip with the Station Hockey Team to Holland and Fassberg, I arrived back at Jever to fly three times on Sunday, November 1st, totalling 2 hours and 10 minutes, including 15 minutes IF. The weather was clamping down with the onset of winter but the usual ranging and tracking exercises were carried out, as was a tail chase following battle formation practice. In increasing cloud, the final sortie of the day involved battle and close formation work.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesI did not fly the next day, but the day after, following 40 minutes aerobatics, I was detailed to fly to Gütersloh with some letters from our Station Commander and, for the second time in my life, to deliver a Senior Air Staff Officer's pyjamas back to him after he had forgotten to pack them during a recent visit. There was no problem with the 25 minute flight there, but before the ground part of my mission was accomplished the weather closed in and Gütersloh airfield closed down. Fortunately I had my beret with me, but that was all. Using borrowed items from other Officers I spent the night in the Orderly Officer's room in the Mess. Next day the weather lifted a little and I was allowed to return, taking half an hour, with 10 minutes instrument flying in dense cloud on the way. The aircraft I used for this sortie, a Mk 5, was VV221 which I had previously flown at Pembrey and, in its earlier days, was used when the original Pilot's Notes were written up at Hullavington in 1948.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesI flew 3 battle formation sorties on the day I set off for Berlin with the Hockey Team. On return I flew dual in a Meteor with my Flight Commander who showed me the Meppen air-to-ground firing range, close to the Dutch border. Other Squadron pilots had flown many live-firing sorties there since my arrival. It would soon be my turn. That evening I flew my first night flight from Jever, primarily to see what could be seen in the area after dark.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesWinter weather prevented almost all flying for the next fortnight during which, had I not signed on for a Short Service Commission, I would have completed my National Service and been demobbed. I was very happy with what I was doing.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe bad weather didn't stop us 4sqnpic167.jpg, 18144 bytes using the parade ground, nearly wearing our legs down to stumps on it. We were practising as a Supporting
Squadron for the parade to be held
at the time of the presentation of their
Standard to Squadron by Marshal of
the Royal Air Force, Sir John
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesOn the day of the parade,
Friday, 20th November the weather
was kind, and I found myself not on
parade but assisting with showing
invited VIPs and guests to their
places as spectators. I then became a
spectator as well.
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesWith the parade over, the
Standard was marched to the
Officers Mess for display. An
excellent and very relaxed formal
luncheon then took place, with guests
and all Jever
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesThe embroidered silk Squadron Standard on
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytesdisplay in the Officers Mess dining-room.
previous thumbnails next
1px-trans.gif, 43 bytes