roundel jsl spacer hunter1
F540 Operations Record Book May 1958 NO 4 SQUADRON.
RAF Museum Hendon. Holds 2nd copy of F540 1945 to 1970.
PLACE DATE TIME SUMMARY OF EVENTS                             COMPILING OFFICER   __Flt. Lt. D.G. Hipperson.___ Refs
      PaddyHipperson.jpg, 1431 bytes  
R.A.F. Jever 1.5.58        The Squadron to-day flew five aircraft on syllabus trips totaling 14.05 hours,
including several low level training exercises.   Flt. Lt. G.O. Eades took one aircraft
to Gutersloh for the 2nd T.A.F. aerobatic competition.   Sqn. Ldr. T.J. McElhaw flew
another aircraft down to witness the competition.
                                            SORTIES : 15           HOURS : 13.55
  2.5.58        To-day the Squadron took part with three aircraft in the first practice fly past
for the A.O.C.'s inspection.   The remainder of the day was again devoted to low level
training exercises and normal syllabus training, in addition some cine training was
also done.
                                            SORTIES : 21           HOURS : 22.20
  5.5.58        In the morning the Squadron took part in a full rehearsal parade for the A.O.C's
inspection the following day.   The parade was a great success and promised to be
equally successful the following day.   In the afternoon six aircraft took part in a
practice fly-past for the following day.   No further flying was done as considerable
servicing had to be done to ensure the required aircraft being available for Tuesdays
                                            SORTIES :   5           HOURS : 3.00
  6.5.58        Today was the day of the A.O.C's inspection, unfortunately the weather was not at
all good and the parade had to be held in No. 4 Hangar, which, although quite satisfactory
was not up to the standard achieved on previous practices on the parade ground.   In
the afternoon the Squadron took part in a postponed fly-past at half past five in the
evening.   In the evening the A.O.C. was entertained at a Barbecue in the Officers Mess.
                                            SORTIES :   6           HOURS : 4.00
  7.5.58        Today, Wednesday, was a half day but during the morning the Squadron flew 5 low
level cross-country sorties.   During the afternoon the Squadron entered a team for the
Station inter - section sevens rugger competition.   The Squadron team was Sqn. Ldr. T.J.
, Flt. Lt. G.O. Eades, Flt. Lt. R.H. Barraclough, Fg. Off's P. Jones, B.H. Dale,
W.B. Maish and T.M. Jeffrey.   The team playing excellent open rugger reached the final
but in this they were seriously handicapped by an injury to Flt. Lt. G.O. Eades (one of
their two 2nd T.A.F. representatives) and finished at the final whistle trailing 11 pts
to 5 pts to 101 Signals Unit.   [Click to see picture of winning team.]
4sqnpic067.jpg, 16743 bytes
                  4 Sqn team in final of Station Inter-Section 7-a-side Rugby competition - 7May58
L to R: Bill Maish, Barry Dale, Alan Cavanagh (11) with the ball, Josh Gifford (8), Taffy Hughes.
(Thanks Bill Maish).    [Photo not in original F540.]
                                            SORTIES :   5           HOURS : 6.30
  8.5.58        During the day the Squadron flew 19 syllabus trips, these were either individual
syllabus or pair cine'.   The Squadron attempted to night fly but due to bad service-
ability only 3 sorties were achieved.   The Squadron achieved a total of 19.35 hours.
     During the afternoon four aircraft took part in a rehearsal for the fly past.   Fg.
Off. P. Jones
while flying No. 2 in the port section experienced hydraulic failure and
reverted to manual.   He was forced to leave the formation hurriedly but landed at base
with no further trouble.
                                            SORTIES : 19           HOURS : 16.55
  9.5.58        The Squadron participated in Exercise Argus to-day but due to unserviceability
from the previous night flying we could only muster 2 aircraft.   Flying ceased at lunch
time so that the aircraft could be serviced for the Anglo-German fly past the following
day.   During the afternoon the pilots prepared for the Squadron "open" day which was to
take place the following day.
                                            SORTIES :   6           HOURS : 6.00
  10.5.58        To-day saw the start of the Anglo-German week and four aircraft from the Squadron
took part in the fly past for the air display.   During the afternoon a large Anglo -
German crowd saw a superb display by the No. 111 Squadron aerobatic team flying at first
with seven aircraft and later with five aircraft.   This was followed by individual
aerobatics by Flt. Lt. Taylor and a general fly past and dummy rocket attack.   In all
the display entertained the crowd with some excellent flying and many people departed
highly impressed especially by the 111 aerobatic team.
(Click to see local newspaper report of show.)
                                            SORTIES :   4           HOURS : 3.20
  12.5.58        Flying commenced at 0800 hours to-day and during the day the Squadron flew 18.55 hrs
consisting of 16 syllabus trips.
     Later in the afternoon the aircraft were serviced and armed up for Battle Flight.
Six aircraft were armed up, ready for a 0500 hrs start the following morning.
                                            SORTIES : 16           HOURS : 17.55
  13.5.58        At 0500 hours to-day four pilots were on Battle Flight, one pair at 5 minutes and
one pair at 30 minutes.      Flying commenced at 0800 hours and given good weather and an average
serviceability of 5 aircraft for the day the Squadron flew 25 Battle flight sorties for a total of 23.
30 hours.   Between the hours of 17.00 and 20.00 the Squadron returned to ground states
and the four pilots were eventually stood down at 20.00 hours.
                                            SORTIES : 25           HOURS : 23.20
  14.5.58        Battle Flight again commenced at 05.00 hours and during the morning the Squadron
flew 10 sorties of P.I's under G.C.I. control.   During the afternoon the Squadron
resumed ground states with only 13 groundcrew working.   In the evening one member of
the Squadron (LAC. W. Robertson) ran for R.A.F. Jever against the local town in the
1500 metres race, and ran a very good race for 3rd position.
     During the afternoon two scrambles were carried out on unidentified targets.   The
scramble time were slightly under 3 minutes.
                                            SORTIES : 10           HOURS : 9.30
  15.5.58        The Squadron was again on stand - by between the hours of 05.00 and 20.00.   The airfield remained green during the whole day and as serviceability was good the Squadron
flew 25.15 hours consisting of 26 Battle Flight sorties.
     During the day Fg. Off's. T.M. Jeffrey and B.H. Dale flew with the Instrument Rating
                                            SORTIES : 26           HOURS : 25.25
  16.5.58        Despite the passage of an occluded front the squadron flew 22 Battle Flight sorties
for a total of 21.10 hours.   The hours of stand - by for Battle Flight were to-day
amended by one hour and the Squadron is now on stand - by from 0430 hrs until 2030 hrs.
                                            SORTIES : 22           HOURS : 21.10
  17.5.58        Due to the bad serviceability the Squadron was on ground states half the morning.
However, 6 sorties of Battle Flight P.I.'s were flown and our monthly total (Hunter)
was increased by 7.20 hours to 182 hrs 45 mins.   During the afternoon the Squadron were
scrambled once, after an unidentified target which when intercepted turned out to be an
                                            SORTIES :   9           HOURS : 7.20
  18.5.58        To-day, being Sunday, the Squadron were on ground states for Battle Flight.   The day
proved to be very uneventful and there were no scrambles.
                                            SORTIES :   9           HOURS : 7.20
  19.5.58        The Squadron to-day flew 20 sorties of P.I.'s on Battle Flight.

        4sqnpic485.jpg, 7848 bytes
Ron Lund touching down with one wheel stuck up and no A.S.I.   (Thanks to Ron Lund).  [Not in F540]

On the last sortie Flt. Lt. R. Lund on joining the circuit to land could not lower his port wheel and
despite many varied methods to lower it he was forced to make a two wheel landing.   The aircraft
swung to port during the latter part of the landing run but was only slightly damaged.
The pilot was unhurt.   [Click to see Flight Comment Report.]
                                            SORTIES : 20           HOURS : 19.10
  20.5.58        The Squadron to-day flew 37 hrs 50 mins.   This is the highest daily total this
month and was achieved through good serviceability and weather throughout the day.
     The total of 37 hrs and 50 mins included 8 hrs 50 mins of night flying.
     Fg. Off. J. Farley joined the Squadron from R.A.F. Chivenor.   He is the first pilot
posted to the Squadron from the U.K. for over a year.
                                            SORTIES : 34           HOURS : 35.50
  21.5.58        The Squadron to-day flew 24 sorties, consisting mainly of low level X - countries
and cine' exercises.   With the approach of the Whitsun grant, to-day was a full working day
and the Squadron flew 25 hours and 55 minutes.
                                            SORTIES : 24           HOURS : 25.55
  22.5.58        During the morning the Squadron Flew all serviceable aircraft for two details only.
This materialised 14 hrs 55 mins.   At 1200 hours the Squadron packed up for the Whitsun
grant.   To-day the Squadron received their first Hunter 6 with an electric follow up
tail and saw tooth leading edge.   The modification had taken two months at the command
modifications center, R.A.F. Laarbruch.
                                            SORTIES : 13           HOURS : 14.55
  27.5.58        The Squadron had hoped to add 25 hours towards their monthly target, but due to bad
serviceability and the cancellation of night flying owing to bad weather, the Squadron
only managed to fly 14 hours 45 minutes.   Most of these sorties were individual syllabus
                                            SORTIES : 15           HOURS : 14.45
  28.5.58        Flying to-day was severely restricted by bad weather.   The first aircraft did not
take off until 11.45 hrs (Local) and the Squadron flew 14 sorties consisting mainly
of syllabus trips.   Whilst the bad weather continued during the morning, the pilots
concentrated on ground training while the ground crew worked hard to try to improve
the serviceability.
                                            SORTIES : 14           HOURS : 14.55
  29.5.58        The Squadron participated in Exercise Amled but due to early morning mist the first
take off was postponed until 0900 hors (Local).   During the Exercise the Squadron flew
ten sorties of P.I.'s under G.C.I. control.   During the afternoon flying was severely
restricted by very bad serviceability.
     One aircraft was sent down to the command modification center at R.A.F. Laarbruch
for the follow - up electric tail and the saw tooth leading edge to be fitted.
                                            SORTIES : 15           HOURS : 15.25
  30.5.58        Due to the very bad serviceability the Squadron could only fly 12.45 hours, flying
mainly syllabus trips.   In the evening the Squadron dined out the following members
Flt. Lt. R.E. Barraclough, Fg. Off's W.F. Brewer, A.E. Macnae, and A.R. Pollock.     Fg. Off. A.R. Pollock is the only member of the above five who is not returning to England.   He is departing early next
month to strengthen the newly formed No. 26 Squadron.
                                            SORTIES : 10           HOURS : 12.45
      T.J. McElhaw                                                  

(T.J. McELHAW)                                                 
Squadron Leader,                                             
Officer Commanding,                                        
No.  4   Squadron.