roundel jsl spacer hunter1
F540 Operations Record Book April 1959 for No. 2 Squadron Jever 1April1959.
PRO Kew No. AIR27 Piece 2724-2
Place. Date. Time.    Summary of Events.                         COMPILING OFFICER_Flt. Lt. R. Rimington__ References
R.A.F. Jever   Apr.59 Operational
          Most of the month was spent at Sylt air-firing.   The Squadron finished very
well with an average of 16.4% although this was not as high as the previous year's
score.   The stoppage rate was however a little better than the last detachment
finishing at 480.   The Squadron flew back to Jever on 23rd April, 1959.
          The annual exercise -"Exercise Topweight" - unfortunately was phased in
the middle of the Sylt Detachment.   Two aircraft and three pilots, Flight Lieutenants
R. Rimington
, P.J. Adair, and Flying Officer A.G. Newing, were detached to No. 79
Squadron Gutersloh for five days for the exercise.

Tail section of Bunny St Aubyn's 2 Sqn Swift FR.5 XD928 G which he abandoned after an engine failure near RAF Sylt on Thursday 9Apr59.   Swift FR.5 XD928 G arrived on 2 Sqn on Thu 24May56.   It was Cat 3R from 15Oct56 to 22Mar57 and from 10Feb58 to 30Jun58.   (Thanks to Michael Church.) (Not in F540)

          There were two unavoidable accidents during the month.   Flight Lieutenant
B. St. Aubyn
had engine failure during an air-firing sortie six miles from the coast.
He glided back towards Sylt and baled out at 1000 feet.   Half a mile short of the
coast.   He was picked up by the helicopter after twenty minutes but had to be towed to
the beach and then disentangled from the parachute and dinghy.   He was then taken to
the Sick Quarters as he was suffering from shock and exposure.
          The other accident occurred at Gutersloh during "Exercise Topweight".
A tyre burst on landing, and the aircraft, flown by Flight Lieutenants
R. Rimington
, swung off the runway and both main wheels collapsed causing category 3 damage.
          Squadron Leader R. Buchanan who is taking over No. 79 Squadron joined
the Squadron for two months and was converted to the Swift at Sylt.

                                                                                                   signed cawade
                                                                                                   (C.A. WADE)
                                                                                                   Squadron Leader,
                                                                                                   Officer Commanding,
                                                                                                   No. 2 Squadron