(Click to see Attendees)
122 Wing JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
124 Wing GUTERSLOH
61st Anniversary 122 Wing JSL AGM and 124 Wing Oldenburg to Gutersloh Reunion - Lunchtime Sat 19th May 2018
128 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7PY.
We voted to try an experiment for the two wing reunions for 2018. None of us like travelling or driving late at night and a night's accommodation can be an expensive extra. So we are holding the reunion on Saturday lunchtime - we are serving food at 1330 hrs to allow maximum time for the distant travellers. Just another reminder, if a food or accommodation booking is not cancelled before 17 May 2018 - Mick Ryan will be charged the full amount!
(100 yards E of Hyde Park Corner tube or 600 yds W of Green Park- Both Piccadilly Line - see map below).
122 Wing Jever Steam Laundry Jever
Last year again 24 attended. The Golden Share was awarded to Ron and Del Gray - for regular attendance over many years.
Once again I would just like to reiterate and remind relatives of those who have died, regardless of when, that you are very welcome to attend. Some relatives may have reservations about this, but please do not feel shy, you will be made very welcome.
Mick made a songbook (Click to see words) of old squadron favourites together with some Youtube clips to provide the musical accompaniment. He also handed out printed copies of the words.
124 Wing Gutersloh
Fred Daley was able to attend from Koblenz in Germany, where he has moved to be near his very sick wife, Petra who is in a hospital in south-east France just over the border.
The Club is offering a choice of one of the following three hot dishes (2017 prices shown):
1. Steak, Kidney and Mushroom Pie with Roast Potatoes & Vegetables - £20.50
2. Chicken Curry with Rice and Popadoms - £20.50
3. Fish & Chips - £20.50
and for those who want to stay with the usual 124 Wing sustainers:
4. Sandwiches (2 Rounds) - £10.50.
When you reply to our Calling Notice, please let Mick know if you want food and what your choices are. Please pay for it at the bar on the night. If you are staying at the Club give your room number and it will be charged to your account. Please try to give Mick an e-mail address, even if it is for a friend or relation who can pass it to you. The cost of postage was about £35 last year and of the 149 calling notices that Mick sent out there were still 36 requiring stamps.
Mick has not reserved any rooms this year at the RAF Club. If you would still like to stay either before or after, (you do not have to be a member), just let Mick know what type of room you would like. We recommend that you book early as the club is very successful these days and the rooms go several months ahead for the weekends. However, RAF Club members can book in to the Cavalry and Guards Club next door or any attender can book into the Caledonian Club (see Alternative Accommodation on the web site).
The costs at the RAF Club for 2017, which do not include breakfast (£9.25), were as follows:
Single room £88.50 £112.50
Double room £138.00 £181.00
Double Superior room £153.00 £198.00
Try this new event - to be held on Saturday LUNCHTIME - for 2018
I have the honour to be
Your Almost Obedient Chairmen
Bill Maish and Fred Daley
JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
To Mick Ryan, Far End, Chipstead Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent TN13 2RG
AGM 2018 19th May starting at 1200 Hrs
I will/will not be attending. Accompanied/unaccompanied
I do/do not require accommodation. If so, type?....................................
Please reply by e-mail if possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Underscore, shifted hyphen, not a hyphen between mick and ryan.)
Please note that we use email letters to all those who have email addresses and ordinary mail to those who do not, so please keep us up to date. This year there were 36 posted and 109 E-mailed.
FOOD CHOICES ALL.
Please enter number of each required:
1. Steak, Kidney & Mushroom Pie - Roast Potatoes and Vegetables - £20.50.........
2. Chicken Curry with Rice and Popadoms - £20.50.......
3. Fish & Chips - £20.50.......
4. Sandwiches (2 Rounds) - £10.50(Please say if not white bread......
Updates (Especially email)
Information Comments or Polite (MN) Suggestions (including who should get the Golden Share?):
If mail please return to: Mick Ryan, Far End, Chipstead Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 2RG
1. I offer the following suggestions for those who may make a late decision to come and may not be able to gain a room in the Club.
2. Where web sites exist, I leave those of you on the net to look up the details. I have included some basic information on the accommodation for those not on the net so you will be able to contact the organisation of your choice.
3. Caledonian Club. The RAF Club has reciprocal arrangements with other clubs both in UK and overseas for RAF Club members only. The Caledonian Club is one of them and is within easy walking distance of the Club, being at 9 Halkin Street Belgravia. [See map below}. The telephone number is: 020 7235 51662 - however, do not deal direct with the Caledonian Club in the first instance. I suggest you do that through Mick to avoid any booking cockups. I have included the number so if you are accommodated there you can contact the Caledonian Club about your personal arrangements.
4. Direct Hotels London - www.Hotels.com. Modestly calls itself the most popular Hotels website for cheap hotels in London. I suggest that if you are not on the net you ask a relative of friend who is, if you can call and see the website. It would be easy for the person to book online for you. There is a map showing where the hotels are. Prices vary according to the 'Star' rating. If you make a sudden late decision to attend call on 0871-200-01718.
5. Victory Services Club - www.vsc.co.uk. The Victory Services Club is a Tri-Service, All Ranks Members' Club for currently serving and retired members of the Armed Forces, ideally located at Marble Arch in the heart of London's West End. You will need to join (Single membership is £20 per annum through varying other categories to the most expensive Family [joint] £45 per annum).
6. Even if you are not coming to the AGM, it is worth noting that parents or children of serving or ex-service personnel can join in their own right under one of the membership categories, even though they have not been in any of the armed services. So if you or one of you family take grandchildren (or in our family more accurately termed 'domestic terrorists') to London for treats just once a year you will more than likely break even. Two visits and you are in the money. Costs vary: a single room, including breakfast, is £39.50.and at the other end of the scale, a family room en suite with 2 adults plus 1 sprog is £144.50. If you are not on the net, I suggest you do as I suggested above and ask a relative or friend who is to let you see the website. You can then do a virtual tour. It's a really good deal. Telephone 020-7616-8302.
7. I hope this information was useful.
LIST OF POTENTIAL ATTENDEES AT THE 122 Wg JSL & 124 Wg AGM 2017 - 1800 hrs SAT 20 MAY 17
2 + 1 Lady = 3 Total
- Bill Maish
- Mick Ryan, 122 Wg Web Master
- Jo Ryan
Total Meal choices:
1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie - 0
2. Chicken Curry with Rice - 0
3. Fish & Chips. - 0
4. Sandwiches - 0
No food - 0
Total - 0
Apologies for Absence: