(Click to see Attendees)
(Click to see Pictures)
122 Wing JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
124 Wing GUTERSLOH
60th Anniversary 122 Wing JSL AGM and 124 Wing Oldenburg to Gutersloh Reunion - Sat 20th May 2017
128 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7PY.
The experiment of combining the two wing reunions appears to have been a popular success and it is proposed that we continue to combine from 2017 onwards. Numbers are very important when organising the reunion at the RAF Club. The Club provides a free room, a free event manager and a free barman. These are paid for from the profits from food and the bar. Clearly if the numbers fall too low then the Club would not be able to sustain these free services. If a food or accommodation booking is not cancelled before 18 May 2017 Mick Ryan will be charged the full amount!
(100 yards E of Hyde Park Corner tube or 600 yds W of Green Park- Both Piccadilly Line - see map below).
122 Wing Jever Steam Laundry Jever
Last year 24 attended. The Golden Share was awarded to Fred Butcher and Henry Chambers - for regular attendance over many years - always together!
We have lost another seven on their last sorties since the AGM last year. We have only just learnt that Andy Whitsun, an "Out-of-Basket" member (actually 124 Wing on 20 Sqn at Gutersloh), passed away on 29th January 2016. Air Commodore Bob Barcilon, 2 Sqn pilot Nov58 to after Jan 1961 - 5Jun16. Air Commodore Des Browne, CO 93 Sqn 18Sep54 to 11Dec56, Leader of the Fleche D'Or 2 ATAF formation Aerobatics team - died in Australia also on 5Jun16. Gerry Shipley, 4 Sqn Pilot Mar52 to Oct53 - early Nov16. Peter Drummond-Hay, Air Traffic Controller 15Dec56-Jun59 - 22Nov16. Finally, and very sadly after so many years supporting us, Bugs Bendell, 4 Sqn pilot 13May57 to Jul58 - 30Dec16.
Bill Maish was unanimously approved as the President of Jever Steam Laundry at last year's AGM
I would just like to reiterate and remind relatives of those who have died, regardless of when, that you are very welcome to attend. Some relatives may have reservations about this, but please do not feel shy, you will be made very welcome.
Mick went through a patch of illness last year and thus and was unable to organise anything special for our 60th Anniversary. Fortunately, due to taking "Performance Enhancing Drugs", he is now back raring to go. He suggests that we make a popular songbook to help us all accompany Danny Lavender's fine example and leadership in the singing stakes. So please send to Mick any words - and the name of the music if you know it - and he has volunteered to make up a songbook for issue at the AGM - assuming he gets sufficient contributions! This invitation also applies to 124 Wing!
124 Wing Gutersloh
Alan Pollock writes here as Fred Daley has had to vacate his flat in Paris and relocate to the new German address below to be closer to Petra. We all certainly wish them both well at this difficult time, after all their various moves in Spain, Paris, Germany and elsewhere. Please note that Fred has no computer now and that his \e-mail address email@example.com is no longer operative until further notice on reception or transmission. His address, if needed, is at Stiftung Eltzerhof, Kornpfortstrasse 14, 56068 KOBLENZ, Germany. Fred's mobile now too has changed to 0049 1638 38 6908.
To our recent losses of our 124 Wing numbers, with Andy Whitson mentioned above and Pat King and Chris Bruce notified before, we also add our celebration now of our shared friendships with and the lives of Mrs Jeanne Cracroft, John Crowley, Iain Tite, David Whittaker and Ted Wood.
The Club is repeating its choice of one of the following three hot dishes (2017 prices shown):
1. Steak, Kidney and Mushroom Pie with Roast Potatoes & Vegetables - £20.50
2. Chicken Curry with Rice and Popadoms - £20.50
3. Fish & Chips - £20.50
and for those who want to stay with the usual 124 Wing sustainers:
4. Sandwiches (2 Rounds) - £10.50.
When you reply to our Calling Notice, please let Mick know if you want food and what your choices are. Please pay for it at the bar on the night. If you are staying at the Club give your room number and it will be charged to your account. Please try to give Mick an e-mail address, even if it is for a friend or relation who can pass it to you. The cost of postage was about £40 last year (kindly paid for again by George Beaton - as well as a first round for everyone at the bar!) and of the 157 calling notices that Mick sent out there were still 43 requiring stamps.
Mick has 7 single rooms reserved again for anyone who wishes to stay at the RAF Club, (you do not have to be a member), just let Mick know what type of room you would like. As at 1Apr17 all the rooms at the club for the night of 20May17 are already taken so only the remaining 7 rooms reserved by Mick are available. However, RAF Club members can book in to the Cavalry and Guards Club next door or any attender can book into the Caledonian Club (see Alternative Accommodation on the web site).
The costs at the RAF Club for 2016, which do not include breakfast (£9.25), were as follows:
Single room £88.50 £112.50
Double room £138.00 £181.00
Double Superior room £153.00 £198.00
Come to the Wing Reunion this year - 2017 - as it is JSL's 60th!
I have the honour to be
Your Almost Obedient Chairmen
Bill Maish and Fred Daley
JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
To Mick Ryan, Far End, Chipstead Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent TN13 2RG
AGM 2017 1800 Hrs
I will/will not be attending. Accompanied/unaccompanied
I do/do not require accommodation. If so, type?....................................
Please reply by e-mail if possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Underscore, shifted hyphen, not a hyphen between mick and ryan.)
Please note that we use email letters to all those who have email addresses and ordinary mail to those who do not, so please keep us up to date. This year there were 43 posted and 114 E-mailed.
FOOD CHOICES ALL.
Please enter number of each required:
1. Steak, Kidney & Mushroom Pie - Roast Potatoes and Vegetables - £20.50.........
2. Chicken Curry with Rice and Popadoms - £20.50.......
3. Fish & Chips - £20.50.......
4. Sandwiches (2 Rounds) - £10.50(Please say if not white bread......
Updates (Especially email)
Information Comments or Polite (MN) Suggestions (including who should get the Golden Share?):
If mail please return to: Mick Ryan, Far End, Chipstead Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 2RG
1. I offer the following suggestions for those who may make a late decision to come and may not be able to gain a room in the Club.
2. Where web sites exist, I leave those of you on the net to look up the details. I have included some basic information on the accommodation for those not on the net so you will be able to contact the organisation of your choice.
3. Caledonian Club. The RAF Club has reciprocal arrangements with other clubs both in UK and overseas for RAF Club members only. The Caledonian Club is one of them and is within easy walking distance of the Club, being at 9 Halkin Street Belgravia. [See map below}. The telephone number is: 020 7235 51662 - however, do not deal direct with the Caledonian Club in the first instance. I suggest you do that through Mick to avoid any booking cockups. I have included the number so if you are accommodated there you can contact the Caledonian Club about your personal arrangements.
4. Direct Hotels London - www.Hotels.com. Modestly calls itself the most popular Hotels website for cheap hotels in London. I suggest that if you are not on the net you ask a relative of friend who is, if you can call and see the website. It would be easy for the person to book online for you. There is a map showing where the hotels are. Prices vary according to the 'Star' rating. If you make a sudden late decision to attend call on 0871-200-01718.
5. Victory Services Club - www.vsc.co.uk. The Victory Services Club is a Tri-Service, All Ranks Members' Club for currently serving and retired members of the Armed Forces, ideally located at Marble Arch in the heart of London's West End. You will need to join (Single membership is £20 per annum through varying other categories to the most expensive Family [joint] £45 per annum).
6. Even if you are not coming to the AGM, it is worth noting that parents or children of serving or ex-service personnel can join in their own right under one of the membership categories, even though they have not been in any of the armed services. So if you or one of you family take grandchildren (or in our family more accurately termed 'domestic terrorists') to London for treats just once a year you will more than likely break even. Two visits and you are in the money. Costs vary: a single room, including breakfast, is £39.50.and at the other end of the scale, a family room en suite with 2 adults plus 1 sprog is £144.50. If you are not on the net, I suggest you do as I suggested above and ask a relative or friend who is to let you see the website. You can then do a virtual tour. It's a really good deal. Telephone 020-7616-8302.
7. I hope this information was useful.
LIST OF ATTENDEES AT THE 122 Wg JSL & 124 Wg AGM 2017 - 1800 hrs SAT 20 MAY 17
RAF Club Room Booking Ref
18 + 6 Ladies = 24 Total
- Bill Maish - 2. Chicken CurryNot Required
- Henry Chambers - 1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom PieNot required
- Michael Collins - 1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom PieNot required
- David Davis - 1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom PieNot required
- Ron Gray - 2. Chicken CurryOwn booking
- Del Gray - 3. Fish and ChipsOwn booking
- Peter Jones - 3. Fish & Chips3724933
- Colin Lamont - 1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie3724936
- Johnny Macknish - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Eric Pigdon - 1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom PieOwn Booking
- Mick Ryan, 122 Wg Web Master - 2. Fish & Chips3724941
- Jo Ryan - 122 Wg - 1. Steak Kidney Pie3724941
- Philip Westwell - 3. Fish & ChipsOwn Booking
- Fred Daley - 3. Fish & Chips3724932
- Jim Browne - 4. Sandwiches (Brown bread)Not required
- Merab Browne - 4. Sandwiches (Brown bread)Not required
- Hugh Cracroft - 4. Sandwiches (Brown bread)Not required
- Derek Morter - 4. Sandwiches3724940
- Eibhlin Morter - 4. Sandwiches3724940
- Al Pollock - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Trish Pollock - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- John Preece - 4. SandwichesNot required
- Smudge Smith - 4. Sandwiches (Brown bread)Own booking
- Brenda Smith - 4. Sandwiches (Brown bread)Own Booking
Total Meal choices:
1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie - 6
2. Chicken Curry with Rice - 5
3. Fish & Chips. - 5
4. Sandwiches - 8 (5 brown bread)
No food - 0
Total - 24
Apologies for Absence:
- Dickie Barraclough
- Betty Barrow
- Tinkle Bell
- Margot Bell
- Pete Bouch
- Bob Broad
- Fred Butcher
- Ted Bywater
- Joy Chambers
- Barry Dale
- John Davis
- Don Exley
- John Farley
- Mike Gallafent
- Gil Gray
- Paul Hayward
- Bob Holliday
- Pete Jennings
- Audrey King
- Phil Langrill
- Joan Langrill
- Danny Lavender
- Roger Lindsay
- Eric McFee
- Joy McFee
- Geoff Millward
- Derek North
- Keith Payne
- Pete Raeburn
- Ken Senar
- Mamie Sharman
- Eric Sharp - Wedding
- Clare Sharp - Wedding
- Reggie Spiers
- Chris and Toni Stone
- Gordon Talbot
- Sheila Talbot
- Brian Thornton
- Ann Thornton
- Geoff Timms
- Jane Tydeman, Hammer West's daughter
- Mike Tyrrell
- Hilary Tyrrell
- Air Marshal Sir John "Whisky" Walker
- Mike Wraight
- Brian Batt
- Sheila Batt
- Nigel Walpole
- Jim Brown, Morab Brown, Smudge Smith and Al Pollock.
- Jim and Merab Browne.
- Derek Morter.
- Jim Browne.
- Derek Morter and Fred Daley.
- Fred Daley (President of 124 Wing Reunions) and Eibhlin Morter.
- Jim Browne.
- Del Gray.
- Johnny MacKnish.
- Bill Maish, Jever Steam Laundry President.
- Trish Pollock.
- Jo Ryan.
- Mick Ryan.
- Peter Jones.
- Trish Pollock.
- Mick and Jo Ryan.
- Johnny Macknish.
- Del and Ron Gray, winners of the Golden Share 2017.
- Smudge Smith and Alan Pollock.
- Michael Collins.
- David Davis, friend of Michael Collins.
- David Davis, friend of Michael Collins.
- Bill Maish, President Jever Steam Laundry.
- Mick Ryan and Peter Jones.
- Eric Pigdon and Johnny Macknish.
- Del Gray, Eric Pigdon and Johnny Macknish.
- Eric Pigdon and Johnny Macknish.
- Jo Ryan, Smudge Smith and Derek Morter.
- Jo Ryan, Smudge Smith, Derek Morter and Mick Ryan.
- Left to Right: Jo Ryan, Smudge Smith, Derek Morter, Eibhlin Morter, Mick Ryan and Peter Jones.
- Jim Browne, Crackers Cracroft and Merab Browne.
- Left to Right: Jim Browne sitting in the background, Bill Maish(President of 122 Wing Jever Steam Laundry), Fred Daley (President of 124 Wing Reunions) and Eibhlin Morter.