(Click to see Attendees)
(Click to see Pictures)
JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
JSL AGM 17th March 2012
128 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7PY.
1. A note on the 2012 AGM in the RAF Club on the Saturday 17th March 2012, 'release brakes' at 1800, or before if short of fuel.
(100 yards E of Hyde Park Corner tube or 600 yds W of Green Park- Both Piccadilly Line - see map below).
2. My apologies for the delay in sending this Calling Notice. I owe you a brief explanation.
3. We moved house last September and soon found our pre-purchase checks were insufficiently thorough: a myriad of major problems - total rewiring, a heating system on its last leg, a kitchen of hidden horrors et al. Our current assault is on the bathroom. The only outstanding decision is whether to dispense with that seemingly French uncomfortable and indelicate attempt at personal hygiene involving greater athleticism than our ages allow: the bidet. One of our grandchildren summed up the object succinctly when he saw it 'Look Grandad, a cat bath'.
4. We are not ones for naming our house but we are seriously thinking of calling it The Ranch or The Magnet or both because we have attracted the top cowboys of the five nearby counties, though we believe for the bathroom that 'the Sheriff is now in town', at last.
5. Now to business. We have moved the date forward this year. Firstly, because Mick felt, and I agree with him, that with the Diamond Jubilee and Olympics, (major national and international events), that to hold the JSL in May would be adding a third such event, hence the move to March. Second, feedback tells us that May is when many of us wish to take holidays before the summer school break, releasing screaming children into all corners of the holiday world.
6. We will meet downstairs this year in the Millennium Suite, close to the 'Running Horse' bar, which will make the eating arrangements much easier and I believe more comfortable.
7. Mick is handling the accommodation. Don't forget the Victory Services Club near Marble Arch - look it up on the net. The annual fees offer a good deal and the accommodation is good.
8. Truncated report on 2011 minutes. Twenty four attended. Majority happy with the arrangements to be repeated this year, including food.
9. We only lost 3 (to the best of our knowledge) who 'landed' finally in the last year and I am sure they would wish us to carry on enjoying the JSL and I hope you come and help us do so. They were: Gp Capt Billy Drake DSO, DFC and bar, DFC (USAF), WWII member, Sgt Pilot Ron Hardy, 118 Sqn and Sqn Ldr Dougie Bridson 4 Sqn.
10. Let me just remind you, we welcome the relatives of those who have died, regardless of when. If any relatives come, please do not feel shy, but do help us by introducing yourselves so that we can perhaps find someone who hopefully can chat with you about the days your loved one was at Jever. Even if we can't find someone for you who knew your relative, we will introduce you to a 'regular'.
11. On the lighter side we had an excellent reunion back in Germany in October 2010. A party of 24 were invited back by the German Air Force to take part in the closing down ceremonies for Brockzetel, the old home of 101 Signals. We were also given an excellent tour of GAF Jever and the usual wonderful supper in the Officers' Mess. Their gift to us will be on display at this year's reunion on the 17th.
12. The Club is repeating its choice of one of the following four hot dishes:
1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie with Roast Potatoes & Vegetables - £15
2. Chicken Curry with Rice - £15
3. Sausage & Mash - £15
4. Grilled Minute Steak & Chips - £15
13. If you or anyone in your party wishes to eat then please would you pre-order using the form Mick has appended to this letter. Logistics could be a problem unless we know the exact numbers requiring food.
14. When you reply to our Calling Notice please let Mick know if you want food and what your choices are. Please pay for it on the night. If you are staying at the Club give your room number and it will be charged to your account.
15. Mick still has 8 rooms reserved for anyone who wishes to stay at the RAF Club, (you do not have to be a member), just let Mick know what type of room you would like.
16. The costs at the RAF Club, which do not include breakfast, are as follows:
Single room £63.50 £73.50
Double room £107.50 £124.00
Double Superior room £122.00 £140.50
PLEASE WILL YOU FILL IN THE ATTACHED FORM AND SEND IT TO MICK
Come to the JSL while years last!
I have the honour to be
Your Almost Obedient Chairman
JEVER STEAM LAUNDRY
To Mick Ryan, Far End, Chipstead Lane, Sevenoaks, Kent TN13 2RG
AGM 2012 1800 Hrs
I will/will not be attending. Accompanied/unaccompanied
I do/do not require accommodation. If so, type?....................................
Please reply by e-mail if possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Underscore, shifted hyphen, not a hyphen between mick and ryan.)
Please note that we use email letters to all those who have email addresses and ordinary mail to those who do not, so please keep us up to date. This year there were 66 posted and 139 E-mailed.
FOOD CHOICES ALL.
Please enter number of each required:
1. Steak, Kidney & Mushroom Pie - Roast Pots & Vegs £15.........
2. Chicken Curry with Rice £15.......
3. Sausage & Mash £15.......
4. Grilled Minute Steak & Chips £15......
Updates (Especially email)
Information Comments or Polite (MN) Suggestions (including who should get the Golden Share?):
1. I offer the following suggestions for those who may make a late decision to come and may not be able to gain a room in the Club.
2. Where web sites exist, I leave those of you on the net to look up the details. I have included some basic information on the accommodation for those not on the net so you will be able to contact the organisation of your choice.
3. Caledonian Club. The RAF Club has reciprocal arrangements with other clubs both in UK and overseas for RAF Club members only. The Caledonian Club is one of them and is within easy walking distance of the Club, being at 9 Halkin Street Belgravia. [See map below}. The telephone number is: 020 7235 51662 - however, do not deal direct with the Caledonian Club in the first instance. I suggest you do that through Mick to avoid any booking cockups. I have included the number so if you are accommodated there you can contact the Caledonian Club about your personal arrangements.
4. Direct Hotels London - www.Hotels.com. Modestly calls itself the most popular Hotels website for cheap hotels in London. I suggest that if you are not on the net you ask a relative of friend who is, if you can call and see the website. It would be easy for the person to book online for you. There is a map showing where the hotels are. Prices vary according to the 'Star' rating. If you make a sudden late decision to attend call on 0871-200-01718.
5. Victory Services Club - www.vsc.co.uk. The Victory Services Club is a Tri-Service, All Ranks Members' Club for currently serving and retired members of the Armed Forces, ideally located at Marble Arch in the heart of London's West End. You will need to join (Single membership is £20 per annum through varying other categories to the most expensive Family [joint] £45 per annum).
6. Even if you are not coming to the AGM, it is worth noting that parents or children of serving or ex-service personnel can join in their own right under one of the membership categories, even though they have not been in any of the armed services. So if you or one of you family take grandchildren (or in our family more accurately termed 'domestic terrorists') to London for treats just once a year you will more than likely break even. Two visits and you are in the money. Costs vary: a single room, including breakfast, is £39.50.and at the other end of the scale, a family room en suite with 2 adults plus 1 sprog is £144.50. If you are not on the net, I suggest you do as I suggested above and ask a relative or friend who is to let you see the website. You can then do a virtual tour. It's a really good deal. Telephone 020-7616-8302.
7. I hope this information was useful.
LIST OF ACTUAL ATTENDEES AT THE JSL AGM 2012 - 1800 hrs SAT 17 MARCH 12
RAF Club Room Booking Ref
30 + 9 ladies = 39 total
- Dickie Barraclough - 2. Chicken Curry2368652
- Bob Broad - 3. Sausage & mashNot required
- Fred Butcher - No foodNot required
- Babs Butcher - No foodNot required
- Henry Chambers - No foodNot required
- Joy Chambers - No foodNot required
- Michael Collins 4. Steak & ChipsNot required
- Bill Croydon - No foodNot required
- Barry Dale - 1. Steak Kidney PieNot required
- Ken Goodwin 4. Steak & ChipsOwn booking
- Sue Goodwin 4. Steak & ChipsOwn booking
- Ron Gray - 1 Steak Kidney PieOwn booking
- Del Gray - 1 Steak Kidney PieOwn booking
- Gil Gray - 1 Steak Kidney PieNot required
- Pete Hunwick - No food2368650
- Roger Hymans - 1. Steak Kidney PieNot required
- Helen Hymans - 3. Sausage & mashNot required
- Pete Jarvis - 1. Steak Kidney PieNot required
- Pete Jennings - 1. Steak Kidney PieNot required
- Peter Jones - 1. Steak Kidney Pie2368653
- Colin Lamont - 1. Steak Kidney Pie2368651
- David Lockspeiser - 2. Chicken Curry2368655
- Anne Lockspeiser - 1. Steak Kidney Pie2368655
- Johnny Macknish - 4. Steak and ChipsNot required
- Ian Madelin - No foodNot required
- Bill Maish - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Timothy Maish - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Michael Maish - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Eric McFee - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Eric Pigdon - 2. Chicken CurryNot Required
- Gordon Reed - 2. Chicken CurryNot required
- Mick Ryan, Web Master - 3. Sausage & Mash2390900
- Jo Ryan - 4. Steak and Chips2390900
- Air Marshal Sir John Sutton - 2. Chicken Curry2368657
- Eric Sharp - 1. Steak Kidney PieOwn booking
- Clare Sharp - 1. Steak Kidney PieOwn booking
- Jane Tydeman, Hammer West's daughter - 1. Steak Kidney Pie 2368656
- John Tydeman - 1. Steak Kidney Pie 2368656
- Andy Whitson - No foodNot required
Total Meal choices:
1. Steak Kidney and Mushroom Pie - 14
2. Chicken Curry with Rice - 9
3. Sausage & Mash. - 3
4. Steak & Chips - 5
No food - 8
Total - 39
Apologies for Absence:
- Val Adamson
- Mollie Asker
- Betty Barrow
- George Beaton
- Bugs Bendell
- Roy Booth
- Pete Bouch
- Brian Conway
- Phil Crawshaw
- Peter Drummond-Hay
- Don Exley
- John Farley
- Peter Gilpin
- Alan Gleadon
- Joy Harris
- Dick Haynes
- Don Henderson
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Patrick Hine
- Bob Holliday
- Jeff Jeffrey
- Pat King - President
- Audrey King
- Gunter Kipp
- Danny Lavender
- Alan Laycock
- Robbie Lynn
- Paddy Minnis
- Barrie Palmer
- Veronica Palmer
- Keith Payne
- Mary Pearce
- Nigel Pigdon
- Al Pollock
- Trish Pollock
- AVM John Price
- Lynne Quinton
- David Quinton
- Roy Rimmington
- Bill Simms
- Chris and Toni Stone
- Andy Thomas
- Gordon Talbot
- Sheila Talbot
- Brian Thornton
- Ann Thornton
- Barrie Tonkinson
- Heather McIntyre
- Sylvia Wade
- Air Marshal Sir John "Whisky" Walker
- Philip Westwell
- Johnny Macknish.
- Eric Mcfee.
- Gordon Reed.
- Pete Jennings expressing his concern at the absence of Pat King!
- L to R: Anne Lockspeiser, Mick Ryan banging on in the background about some rubbish, Del Gray and Eric Sharp half face.
- L to R: Babs Butcher, Eric Mcfee front, Henry Chambers Fred Butcher, and Gordon Reed front.
- Del and Ron Gray.
- Jane Tydeman, Hammer West's daughter and Michaell Maish, Bill Maishs's Grandson examining the Golden Share which had just been awarded to Bill Maish for 2012.
- Jane Tydeman, Hammer West's daughter.
- Three generations - Bill Maish, winner of this year's Golden Share, with his Grandson Michael and son Timothy.
- L to R Foreground: Ron Gray, Pete Jones and Dickie Barraclough. Rear: Mick Ryan and
- L to R Anne Lockspeiser, Jo Ryan, Unknown back, and Eric Sharp.
- L to R Bob Broad, Sue Goodwin and Ken Goodwin.
- L to R Pete Jarvis, Anne Lockspeiser, Jo Ryan, Pete Hunwick and Unknown back.
- Jo Ryan chatting to Pete Hunwick.
- Eric McFee.
- John Sutton deep in conversation with Barry Dale.
- Near table L to R: Pete Jarvis back, John Sutton and Barry Dale. Next table behind L to R: Eric Sharp back, Claire Sharp facing, Anne Lockspeiser back, Dave Lockspeiser facing, Bob Broad facing and Sue Goodwin sideon.
- L to R: Gillie Gray and Pete Jarvis.
- Jo Ryan.
- Bob Broad.
- David Lockspeiser
- L to R: Mick Ryan talking to Johnny Macknish.
- L to R: Another shot of Mick Ryan talking to Johnny Macknish.
- Mick Ryan wondering how he got here.
- Yet further deep conversations between , on the left, Mick Ryan and Johnny Macknish.
- Roger Hymans talking his way out of deep trouble!?
- Michael Collins.
- L to R: Bob Broad back, Sue Goodwin, Barry Dale at rear and Ken Goodwin.
- John Tydeman, Hammer West's son-in-law..
- Jane Tydeman, Hammer West's daughter and Michael Maish, Bill Maish's Grandson.
- Mick Ryan getting the briefing from John Sutton on quarter attacks that he never understood when flying the Hunter! L to R: Mick Ryan, Bob Broad half face at rear, Ken Goodwin back, John Sutton, Sue Goodwin at rear.
- L to R: Henry Chambers and Fred Butcher.
- L to R: Mick Ryan shares a joke with John Sutton.
- L to R: Pete Hunwick and Peter Jones.
- L to R: ...and another thing!! L to R: Johnny Macknish talking to Michael Collins.
- Del and Ron Gray.
- L to R: Michael Collins saying farewell to Eric Mcfee.
- L to R: Sue Goodwin, Jane Tydeman back of head and Ken Goodwin.
- Dickie Barraclough caught doing something! ...can't think what it was!?
- L to R Bob Broad, Jane Tydeman and John Sutton.
- L to R Gillie Gray, Barry Dale, Pete Jarvis and John Tydeman, Hammer West's son-in-law.
- L to R Bill Maish, Mick Ryan, Ken Goodwin Jo Ryan at rear, Sue Goodwin and Del Gray.
- L to R Pete Jennings, Peter Jones and Timothy Maish, Bill Maish's son.
- L to R Dave Lockspeiser, Eric Sharp and Anne Lockspeiser.
- L to R Gillie Gray, Del Gray and Bob Broad.
- Bill Maish with his Golden Share.
- L to R Jo Ryan suffering Mick Ryan waffling on, Unknown and Pete Hunwick. Note the TV display in the background which was showing our web site from the Internet all night.